Feeling let down by the system

This G.
on 5/20/15 8:12 am - Canada

Looking for some advice, or even encouraging words.

my first referral was in 2007, and my appointment wasn't until 2010 at the Ottawa hospital. They were nice, and wanted me to wait a year, but a few months after that appointment I seperated from my husband. I was so focused on that that I didn't realize that I hadent heard back for my second appointment. 

After things settled I had my Dr send in another requisition in Sept 2013. .... And radio silence. 

I what was going on and kept being told that I had to just wait it out.... Nothing. Never heard a thing. 

i finally got upset with my Dr. And said its been a year and a half, WTH! So another requisition went in. 

my Dr. Was going to call to find out what happened to the last one, but her secretary said she is too busy, so I did. I found out through Western calling the OBN that it's with Hunber, but they keep just telling me they will call me back, and don't. 

i don't want to wait another 6-9 months to start the process again, I've been waiting 7 years. I can't keep hearing doctors telling me to be patient, I have been, perhaps too patient.

I just have a feeling I won't be approved and I don't want to hang in the balance any longer. I just feel so let down by the system, especially my own dr shoes receptionist said she was too busy to call the OBN and check the status! :(

any my words of wisdom?

LeslieT
on 5/20/15 9:56 am - London, Canada
RNY on 05/22/15

It sounds like you've had a difficult time. It feels like my process has taken forever and it's only been a bit over a year, I can't imagine how you are feeling.

You might get some more helpful advice if you post on the Ontario Forum. Sorry, I don't know how to make this a link (maybe someone will tell me) but you can copy and paste the url and it will come up http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/on/

Leslie

Highest: 250 - 30 pounds lost pre-op - Surgery Weight: 220 Current: 156 Goal: 145

This G.
on 5/20/15 10:40 am - Canada

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/20/15 2:41 pm

Surgery in Mexico? self pay? 

many people find their insurance does not cover WLS. 

Mine did not. I had to pay cash. And I I saved for that. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Kate -True Brit
on 5/21/15 4:54 pm - UK

I'm in the UK so have free health care, as you do in Canada. But they wouldn't pay for my surgery because I wasn't fat enough or ill enough for their criteria. So I had to fund myself. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

This G.
on 5/21/15 7:07 pm - Canada

That's horrible, and kindof what I'm expecting. I'm 250lbs, and if I exercise for 3 hours a day I'll lose a max of 20lbs and the maintain. 

Ive been told I have an above average muscle mass so I may not fit the criteria. Part of the reason I don't want to keep waiting, I just want to know.

i got the call that my orientation is on the 1st, then they are going to try to get me to the sergeon as quick as possible because I've waited so long. :)

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1387 views