Low carb diet does work.. -

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/22/15 2:57 pm, edited 5/22/15 3:18 pm

Long-term effects of a ketogenic diet in obese patients

PATIENTS AND METHODS:

In the present study, 83 obese patients (39 men and 44 women) with a body mass index greater than 35 kg/m2, and high glucose and cholesterol levels were selected. The body weight, body mass index, total cholesterol, low density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol, high density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol, triglycerides, fasting blood sugar, urea and creatinine levels were determined before and after the administration of the ketogenic diet. Changes in these parameters were monitored after eight, 16 and 24 weeks of treatment.

The weight and body mass index of the patients decreased significantly. The level of total cholesterol decreased from week 1 to week 24. HDL cholesterol levels significantly increased, whereas LDL cholesterol levels significantly decreased after treatment. The level of triglycerides decreased significantly following 24 weeks of treatment. The level of blood glucose significantly decreased. The changes in the level of urea and creatinine were not statistically significant.

CONCLUSIONS:

The present study shows the beneficial effects of a long-term ketogenic diet. It significantly reduced the body weight and body mass index of the patients. Furthermore, it decreased the level of triglycerides, LDL cholesterol and blood glucose, and increased the level of HDL cholesterol. Administering a ketogenic diet for a relatively longer period of time did not produce any significant side effects in the patients. Therefore, the present study confirms that it is safe to use a ketogenic diet for a longer period of time than previously demonstrated.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

hl1524
on 5/22/15 3:13 pm - Austin, TX

I know you are a big advocate of the low carb diet. Do you track your calories too or just the carbs?

RNY 8/27/2014

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/22/15 3:17 pm

it depends... most of the time - eating low carb - higher fat control my calories.. 

But if I want to lose weight - and lose it fast - I also limit calories.. 

for maintenance - I just eat... but I am rather strict what I eat...(no grains, no dairy, no starches, not a lot of veggies or fruits... ) and due to Sibo and IBS - low fiber..

but- I found out what food I am allergic to and I eliminated that (dairy, soy, artificial sweeteners.. etc)  

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

hl1524
on 5/22/15 3:21 pm - Austin, TX

Thanks for sharing! I too believe in LCHF but I'm no expert on how all of that works with the altered anatomy. I have noticed to get the scale moving I needed to drastically reduce my carb intake. 

RNY 8/27/2014

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/22/15 3:51 pm

too much fat make me nauseous.. . or gives me runs (fat flash - not so nice..)so I have to be careful how much fat I eat at one time.  

But I eat eggs, bacon, etc... nut butters or nuts are great - in moderation...

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/22/15 3:13 pm
brenda_m
on 5/22/15 3:29 pm - Renick, WV

I also agree with you on the low carb, high protein. Its the only thing that has worked for me. The weight comes off fast. I did the atkins diet about 13 yrs ago and lost 140lbs. But I have to really watch my sugar. It goes way too low. Of course when I stopped the diet. I gained all my weight back. Everytime Ive tried to lose weight since then (including now) the low carb has always stuck with me. Never really watched calories or fat or anything but carbs and protein. I do watch calories now but most days dont get above 1000. I am pre-op and going for RNY, hopefully in august.

AmyDee123
on 5/22/15 5:52 pm - Lutz, FL
RNY on 06/12/15

Oh yeah!  So good for your health and to lose weight.  For me its almost impossible unless I really try because I am serious carb addict.  However, I have been really trying and in 12 days I've lost 17 pounds.  Can't beat that with a stick!

LapBand Weight 460 (2006) | Panni Removal Weight 200 (2008) | 3rd kid (2009)
Revision to RNY Weight 355 (June 2015)

Ok2BHuman
on 5/22/15 11:29 pm - Red Wing, MN
RNY on 01/24/12

I had gastric bypass in 2012. I weighed 381 at my highest and had t get down to 350 before surgery. It was tough but I did it. Post op I never got thin. My hair was weak and falling out and I looked gaunt and pale @ 240 ...my lowest weight in years. This is the lowest I would get and have since regained and currently weigh 290. The surgery didn't fail me ...I failed to do the work needed to keep losing weight and to maintain it. I have had to start back on Metformin because the diabetes is resurfacing. I feel lost, hopeless, depressed and most of all I feel sad. I got the surgery that saved my life and I'm blowing it. I'm not looking for sympathy. I am looking for some helpful ideas on how to get back on track from people in the know. I viewed this as a magic bullet and thought "well I have malabsorption and that will carry me through and do the work for me. BIG mistake and a terrible lie to tell yourself. I don't want to be over three hundred pounds again and I do want to be healthy. Any words or wisdom or advice? Be gentle...I already feel like a huge failure. 

Chrisitne

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/23/15 7:07 am

For me the biggest help to lose if i want to (the pesky 5 lbs that keeps coming back) is to really watch what i eat. There are some foods that i decided are no longer allowed in my diet.  Foods that would ttigger cravings, or bring a cycle of high /low BS.

Those include grains, starches (potatoes, beans, carrots, beets, cirn, etc etc.).

I also limitfruits. The only one that i allow mysekf to eat are berries, and only during maintaining...not when i try to lose  weight. 

I eat non starchy veggies, meats, fish, eggs, and nuts... There is so much veriaty there that i seldom get bored, or feel like there is not much to eat. I don't eat standard protein bars because most of them are too sweet and trigger my cravings. It is just not worth. 

I cook and bake... I make meatloaf (no bread crumbs, or ketchup). three are so many websites that show great way to prepare very healthy meals. 

When i am out,, i order grill meat or fish, and ask for a side of veggies. I am 7 years post opp op, and eating like that i still seldom,can finish my dinner when out.

I.e. chicken wings, dry, (no sauce), i typically can only eat 6-8. 

Doing low carb diet allows me not to worry about fat, so things like burger, wings, etc...are not a problem, as long as i avoid any sugar with it. Or breading, or sauces...

I read labels, and don't buy meats (cold cuts) that have sugar added....

It is nit easy...but once you do it for a while, and accept the new reality...t is really not too bad. 

I am not perfect...i have my slip-ups....but when that happen, i just move back to my eating system the very next meal...(not next day, or Monday...etc). 

Most Active