The dreaded regaining of weight.....

Ok2BHuman
on 5/22/15 11:37 pm - Red Wing, MN
RNY on 01/24/12

I had gastric bypass in 2012. I weighed 381 at my highest and had to get down to 350 before surgery. It was tough but I did it. Post op I never got thin. My hair was weak and falling out and I looked gaunt and pale @ 240 pounds ...my lowest weight in years. This is the lowest I would get and have in two years slowly regained and currently weigh 290. The surgery didn't fail me ...I failed to do the work needed to keep losing weight and to maintain it.

I have had to start back on Metformin because the diabetes is resurfacing. I feel lost, hopeless, depressed and most of all I feel sad. I got the surgery that saved my life and I'm blowing it. I'm not looking for sympathy. I am looking for some helpful ideas on how to get back on track from people in the know.

Sadly, I viewed this surgery as a magic bullet and thought "well I have malabsorption and that will carry me through and do the work for me. BIG mistake and a terrible lie to tell myself. I don't want to be over three hundred pounds again and I do want to be healthy. Any words or wisdom or advice? Be gentle...I already feel like a huge failure.

Chrisitne

Grim_Traveller
on 5/23/15 3:26 am
RNY on 08/21/12

First, have you been to see your surgeon? The first step should be to get checked out and make sure everything physically is OK, and have complete labs done. Most people who are noncompliant with food are noncompliant with vitamins and such.

You need to start eating according to plan if you want to turn things around. Dense protein first, low carbs, no sugar, bread, pasta, or rice. Log your food.

There is a back on track group here on OH, with people struggling with the same things you are. You can do this, but it's going to take hard work.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Ok2BHuman
on 5/23/15 3:17 pm - Red Wing, MN
RNY on 01/24/12

Thank you, Grim. 

You give great advice! Thank you!

Christine

Laura in Texas
on 5/23/15 6:06 am

Be kind to yourself. The mental part is the hardest. If the depression is overwhelming, perhaps you should talk to your doctor about taking antidepressants (at least temporarily). You have to believe you are worth the effort to be healthier. You are!!

Start from here. Track your food. Weigh/measure your portions. Limit breads, crackers, and other crappy carbs. Become more active. My daughter just got fitbits and it really does help to "see" how many steps I am getting in a day.

Hang in there. You can do this!!

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

CerealKiller Kat71
on 5/23/15 9:38 am
RNY on 12/31/13

You know why I think you have what it takes to turn this around?  Because you stated, "The surgery didn't fail me ...I failed to do the work needed to keep losing weight and to maintain it." -- that takes a lot of courage to take responsibility.  I know, because I had to do the same work when I got to over 344 pounds, shooting up insulin 3 times a day, taking horse pill doses of Metformin while eating enough calories to sustain my whole family at one point.  :-)

The good news is that you know what to do, and you still have the tool to do it.  Take Grim's suggestion and make an appointment to see your doctor to make sure there's no mechanical failure or deficiencies going on -- and then go back to basics like Laura suggests.  It's hard at first, but with time and success, it will become a habit.  I am very good about tracking all my food and I am on myfitnesspal if you want to friend me.  

You can do this!  ::Hugs:: 

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Ok2BHuman
on 5/23/15 3:15 pm - Red Wing, MN
RNY on 01/24/12

Thank you for the really kind and supportive reply. Your description of calories, insulin and metformin makes me shudder! It's a lot to go through to not use the surgery to have a great quality of life. I just need to reconnect with healthier minded people. I got lost for a bit. 

You're pretty awesome!! How's your journey coming along?

Christine

CerealKiller Kat71
on 5/23/15 5:34 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

So far, so good -- I love not having to take insulin or metformin -- but it's hard every. single. day. to make the best decisions.  Old habits/addictions die hard!!  I really do understand what they mean about taking it one day at a time.  

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Hislady
on 5/23/15 7:25 pm - Vancouver, WA

Totally agree with the others and since I had a different surgery I may not be correct but I'm thinking this far out from your original surgery you aren't going to have as much malabsortion now as you did in the beginning another reason for folks to take full advantage of that honeymoon period. However that said you still have your tiny pouch and that alone should be enough of a tool to get you back on track and losing again.

The main thing that has always helped me is journal, journal and then journal some more!! Make sure you write down every bite that passes your lips! You can do this, there have been many others in your situation over the years and they have had success so there is no reason why you can't too. You have accepted your role in this not working the first time so you realize how important it is for your head to be in the game too. Go get 'em girl!

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1389 views