Gastric Bypass and returning to work

bobbeeslady
on 5/26/15 6:03 pm - Lincoln, NH

I know a lot of ppl returned in a couple weeks for a desk job, but I do housekeeping. I know there is no lifting for a certain amount of time, but what about bending? Anyone out there have any info?

BlueBird_ANI.gifLesli_NameTag.jpg  
   see you soon on the other side                      

Kathy S.
on 5/26/15 6:09 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi

Every surgeon is different. Ask your surgeon and follow his/her advice.  Post this on the Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass Surgery Forum (RNY) if you have not already done so to reach out to others that have had the same surgery as you.

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

(deactivated member)
on 5/26/15 6:29 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

Definitely ask your surgeon. Mine told me no lifting over 15 lbs for the first 4 weeks, mostly because of the hiatal hernia I had repaired at the time of surgery. Yet he wants me to start strength training at that point, so apparently I'm allowed to go from 0 to 60 in no time flat, hahaha.

(deactivated member)
on 5/26/15 9:03 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

Ah that's why I couldn't find my earlier reply, it was on a different forum! Sorry for the duplicate response.

christinerocks
on 5/27/15 7:33 am - AZ
RNY on 04/06/15

LOL I had very similar instructions! Don't even pick up a grocery bag, and then at my 4 week checkup it was, are you lifting weights yet??  Ha! It's all good though, I started with light weights and resistance bands after 4 weeks.  :-)

________

137 pounds lost - from a 24/26W to a size 8/10!

bonkers-1952
on 5/26/15 9:52 pm

Oh Bobbee, Be so careful and do not set yourself back. I had the sleeve and did just basic cleaning-boy did I pay for it. If you explain to your customers maybe they will understand that u can only work for an hour or 2 at the most. I know we all need to pay the bills…be careful tho.

seattledeb
on 5/26/15 11:19 pm

I will never understand the ones that made it back so quick!!

I was going back to a very busy hospital unit. I took 6 weeks off and was glad I did.

Deb T.

White Dove
on 5/27/15 12:55 am - Warren, OH

A nurse told me years ago that the worst thing women do too soon after surgery is run a vacuum cleaner.  Housekeeping is hard work and uses a lot of internal muscles.  Right after surgery I felt great, but still realized that my insides were full of healing staples and stitches. 

I did not vacuum or lift anything over ten pounds until I was six weeks out of surgery. 

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

italianspice
on 5/27/15 3:57 am - Eastlake, OH

I also was not allowed to return to wor****il 6 weeks out. I am a nurse and do a lot of lifting.

Be careful and follow your doctor's advice

~Maria

SW 230 Preop 205 GW 130 LW 131 CW 135 Ht 5'1"

christinerocks
on 5/27/15 7:35 am - AZ
RNY on 04/06/15

Everyone is different.  I took 4 weeks off for a mostly desk job (some standing and presenting and such) - and I could not have returned a single day earlier.  With your job I think you will definitely need some guidance from your surgeon - I would think 6 weeks, but I am not a professional.  

________

137 pounds lost - from a 24/26W to a size 8/10!

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1292 views