Intoduction

Robert M.
on 5/23/15 5:02 pm - NJ
Adjustable Gastric Band on 01/31/11

Just found this site...also found I was already a member!!  My Dr.'s office must have registered me.

Anyway, I have the Lap band...surgery date was Jan. 2011......

I have been on "That Other" forum on and off since then....it's getting loathsome for reasons I'll not get into, least not now. But I decided to lurk around here a bit and give it a "Test Drive"

I met MY GOAL after 12 months.....however my body had other ideas and kept on loosing until I reached that point of equilibrium....which is a very low body fat % (athletic) while maintaining a good muscle mass (BMI's don't  mean that much to me)...... I'm done loosing weight, there is nothing left to loose and remain healthy.

Prior to surgery, I had a very dismal medical history....you name it, I had it....diabetes, Blood pressure, cholesterol, just about everything....also my brother and sister died at a much to early age from obesity related illnesses...NOT very pretty...

Been on every diet under the sun...NOTHING worked for very long, always gained it all back....

Then, on top of everything, I developed cardiac and circulatory issues...CAD - Coronary Artery Disease, resulting in one heart attack, in which I underwent surgery.

Dr. sat me down and said I was a walking time bomb unless I loose 60-70 lbs...told him I tried and tried and just could not do it....so Weight Loss Surgery was the LAST RESORT!  To be hones, I did not want to do it but what choice did I have???

Long story short, that was 4-1/2 years ago...I am at a "Perfect" weight...all my co-morbidities have been reversed, other than the permanent damage to the heart muscle...but even then the effective artery adjusted grew new branches around and past the blocked part. No more medications other than 2 cardiac meds I will take for the rest of my life. (SOP for all Cardiac Patients)

I run 3-5 miles a day, 5 days a week....although with my new job it's down to 3 days a week....I am done dieting...Diet is a four letter word...I don't count calories, measure portions, etc....What I do do, is live a new lifestyle that has evolved because of the Lap Band....certain Foods I will never eat again...plus hunger and cravings are now gone.   So I go about my business day to day and most times don't even think about it....Myself, I don't like the term "Journey", but if I must use it, I consider myself to be at my destination, the Journey's end....

So, the Lap Band has not only CHANGED my life, but it also SAVED my life.

BTW, I forgot to mention I am a 63 year old male....

AmyDee123
on 5/23/15 6:07 pm - Lutz, FL
RNY on 06/12/15

Congratz and welcome!

LapBand Weight 460 (2006) | Panni Removal Weight 200 (2008) | 3rd kid (2009)
Revision to RNY Weight 355 (June 2015)

MemeTime
on 5/24/15 6:09 pm

Hi,

I am Meme and I am new here and would like to say congrats to you. I too am having the surgery when they say its time but mean time I am doing as I am told by eating better and taking better care of me. I love reading success positive and up lifting stories it makes me feel like this is exactly what I need. Thanks for the story, its wonderful and I wish you all the best .

Meme

Ashley in Belgium
on 5/24/15 10:09 am - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

Really happy for you that your band has helped you get your life back!  Good for you.

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

Most Active