Need... *ahem* Constipation Advice

WereYorkie
on 5/28/15 10:20 pm
VSG on 05/11/15

Well, it finally happened... at this moment I am sitting on a pillow! :( 

I was totally low carb pre-surgrey from March 1 to May 8th when I went to liquid only. I lost 29 pounds in that time and then from May 8 to May 11, I lost another 8 pounds from the liquid only. Since then...A WHOPPING 3.4 POUNDS!!! :( And that even fluxuates daily. I swear I am trying to be patient, but today has really tipped me over the mental edge.

I had to use a fleet enema for the first time in my life. I'm still uncomfortable sitting... I'm hoping I will feel better tomorrow morning. I've got more than 64 ounces of fluid in... This past Monday I was allowed to advance to pureed foods, but now I'm afraid that the same thing will happen again. 

Should I stay on fluids for the next few days and try again later?

I know a lot of you use Mirelax (spelling?) but all I have at the moment is Dulcalax... is that okay to take so I don't experience this same kind of pain tomorrow? 

I hope I never go through this again. :( 

Highest Weight: 340 (7/2/14)  Initial Consult: 327.8 (2/24/15) Home Weigh In on Surgery Date: 291.8 (5/11/15) Today's Weight: 187.4 (5/20/16) Total So Far: 152.6 Pounds!!!!!!

"There's only us. There's only this... forget regret. Or life is yours to miss. No other road. No other way. No day but today."

MickeyDee
on 5/28/15 11:43 pm

A stool softener is a good idea, as is the Miralax (or the OTC substitute).  Also, insure you have some good fats such as chia or flax seeds or avocado.  

You definitely need to put some fiber in your diet;  there are also fiber substitutes available OTC.

Constipation is a result of not enough fiber and fats in our diets, so a judicious amount of each is good for you.

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/29/15 6:20 am

Constipation is not causes by not enough fiber.  

Pleaae get your facts straight. Fiber can cause constipation. Please read studies.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

AmyDee123
on 5/29/15 3:50 am - Lutz, FL
RNY on 06/12/15

I second that.   Try just 1 ducolax and see if that gets things moving a little.  Definitely add some fiber to your diet and fat. Chia will do both.   It's one of my favorites. 

LapBand Weight 460 (2006) | Panni Removal Weight 200 (2008) | 3rd kid (2009)
Revision to RNY Weight 355 (June 2015)

auntmimi
on 5/29/15 6:03 am

After MONTHS of battling constipation (it didnt matter how much fiber I consumed) I found Phillips Colon Health Probiotics.  I take 1/day with 2 stool softners and it seems to be the only thing that helps things move along. Some weeks in the month are better, when its real bad I also take miralax. Horrible feeling!

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/29/15 6:21 am

Too much fiber can cause constipation. I get constipated when i get to much fiber. 

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/29/15 6:27 am

Miralx works for me. 

Based on personal experience, adding fiber when i was constipated created a horrible situation for me.

I had too make sure things are moving really well...before it was safe for me to even consider food with fiber. 

For me it was like pouring sand in already blocked plumming hoping the pure weight of it is going to clean my pipes. 

http://www.dietaryfiberdigest.com/can-too-much-fiber-cause-constipation/

http://www.dietaryfiberdigest.com/can-too-much-fiber-cause-constipation/

crystal M.
on 5/29/15 7:15 am - Joliet, IL

For me two stool softners a day helps.  I also try to eat as balanced of a diet as I can.  Eating both fruits and veggies always helps me.  And lots and lots of water.   

I only turn to laxatives when I haven't gone in 5-7 days.  I don't want to become dependent on them.  My mom was like that.  I would hate to be like that. 

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/29/15 7:29 am

Miralax is not a laxative. 

Not going for 5-7 days is really long. I cant imagine not having BM for 2 days. 

5~7 days may really cause a lot of issues. 

Impacted Bowels or not only very painful, but they can be really dangerous. 

crystal M.
on 5/29/15 12:38 am, edited 5/29/15 12:38 am - Joliet, IL

I was talking to the original poster.  She mentioned Dulcalax which comes in a laxative.  Was commenting about that. 

I have gone 5-7 days often before I finally found what works for me.  Never got impacted but it would get very uncomfortable. 

Most Active