Protein Shakes

helionoftroy
on 5/29/15 5:31 pm - Lexington, SC
RNY on 03/23/15

My nutritionist told me to stop drinking protein shakes and to get all my protein from food. Well, I can't eat enough to get all my protein from food and rely on shakes to supplement. I've discovered that I have a sensitivity to sucralose and really don't care for aspartame, which can be found in one protein shake or another. I also have sensitivity to soy due to my Hashimotos disease. I looked into organic whey protein shakes that are sweetened with Stevia leaf but, found they have soy. I really liked the Unjury brand while I was in the hospital. Unfortunately, Unjury has sucralose and soy. Premier protein also has sucralose. I thought I could possibly tolerate a little bit of sucralose but each time I tried I would get sick. The ones from Walmart, super advanced whey, have a metallic taste that are yucky! 

Sigh...what to do??   Anyone know of a protein shake that is sweetened with stevia and does not contain soy? I like my shakes, especially in the morning with a little bit of coffee added.

NYMom222
on 5/29/15 8:05 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Actually I just found one I've been loving. I esp. love the vanilla, which up until this point I had never found one I liked. They have several products you can look at. Grass-fed, no soy and stevia sweetened. I actually found it at Walgreens. When they have it on sale (Which has been all of May) it is $22.99. off sale $27.99. GNC carries it as well, but they charge like $32. Biologix  I also like Genepro unflavored, it goes in hot or cold and is only one tablespoon = 30g. make your own recipe and add...

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

helionoftroy
on 5/29/15 8:52 pm - Lexington, SC
RNY on 03/23/15

Thank you!!! I'll go tomorrow to Walgreens and see if I can find any!!

fsjack1809
on 5/29/15 11:05 pm

I had bpd with ds 3 years ago. I weighed 350 when I had surgery. I now weigh between 132-135. I am having trouble with absorbing protein so they put a feeding tube in November 2014. stil  having trouble even at 3 boost per day plus what I eat. here in lies the problem now having trouble keeping food down doesn't matter what I eat I have dumping. then 30 -45 mintes later can try and eat again. I do 6 small meals a day plus the tube feedings . I take a medication 4 times a day bfore meals and bedtime . I take reglan every 6 hours and omeprazole 2 times a day. sometimes I can't even keep broth down. any suggestions would be so appreciated.THANK YOU!!!!!!

fsjack1809
on 5/29/15 11:13 pm

I had to go with a feeding tube for shakes cuz I couldn't drink them . they would gag me I would dump so it was doing me no good.now I have an eating problem cuz I usually dump agter every meal even with small bites and 6 meals a day.i had the bpd with ds. now if my bloodwork is not good this month I have to have surgery again to make my intestine longer for better protein absorption.would appreciate any comments

White Dove
on 5/30/15 5:06 am - Warren, OH

I am sorry your surgery experience was so terrible.  It was a surgery with more malabsorption and more chance of complications than most of us experience.  I did not know that they could lengthen the intestines. 

I hope you don't have to have additional surgery and that your doctors can get you back to good health.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Most Active