PCOS patient....which surgery will be most successful??

angel8482
on 6/11/15 6:50 am

Hello!  I am new to the group and wondered if anyone has had the surgery and also had PCOS.  I wondered which surgery your surgeon recommended.  I have also had a hysterectomy.  I want to have great success with this so I am having a hard time choosing the type of surgery.  I have it down to the sleeve of the RNY but still can't choose.  I have a meeting today so maybe that will help but I thought I would get peoples opinions and hopefully some success stories. 

Thanks in advance for the responses. 

(deactivated member)
on 6/11/15 2:17 am, edited 6/11/15 2:18 am

Hello!

I am new as well and have PCOS. I just had surgery on 6/02/15 and My surgeon HIGHLY recommended RNY gastric bypass when I was originally going in for the sleeve. He said the reason for that is one, I get heart burn and I guess the sleeve will make heart burn worse for most people and having PCOS its harder to loose weight, with the RNY people tend to loose weight a bit easier then the sleeve. Everyone is different of course and i don't regret my choice, I feel like either one whould have made me happy in the end. 

Good Luck!

MsBatt
on 6/11/15 10:03 am

I suggest you also research the Duodenal Switch. The DS makes the biggest change in your metabolism, and the DS has the very best long-term, maintained weight-loss stats overall. It's also the best at resolving or preventing things like diabetes and high cholesterol.

SkinnyScientist
on 6/11/15 11:13 am

HI 

I have PCOS too.

My endocrinologist and NP recommended RNY to help lose weight.

I wanted a DS but they were against it, citing diaherria [sic] issues.

Anyway, after RNY I lost my excess weight by following my surgeons plan, exercising about 2 hours most days of the week when able, and eating low carb.

My LH and FSH are now normal.

I had my excess hair lazered off but some has grown back on my chin. Fortunately, the mustache, sideburns and chest hair hasnt.

If anything, I would say the PCOS is now a sleeping dragon. Very much alive, just sleeping. If I eat too many carbs and I get the acne on my chin and the boils on my inner thighs still.

So I keep my carbs as low as possible. Those carbs that I do have are low GI.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/11/15 11:38 am

DS, then RNY.. then.. VSG, 

that is my opinion...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

poplargreys
on 6/11/15 4:15 pm
VSG on 03/31/15

I have had multiple large cysts surgically removed, but have never been officially diagnosed with PCOS. I had my sleeve done 3/31/15 and have lost 45lbs since then, and lost 40 pre-op as well. I may lose slower initially than someone who chose a more aggressive malabsoptive procedure but I am confident that the sleeve was the right choice for me. 

Hislady
on 6/11/15 4:43 pm - Vancouver, WA

From what I have read the only reason for diarrhea is from eating too many carbs and the wrong types of food with the DS. I would suggest the DS also since it is considered the gold standard of weight loss surgery. You get the restriction of a sleeve and the malabsorbtion of the RNY all in one surgery plus the added bonus of keeping your pyloric valve. The best of all worlds!!

south2north
on 6/11/15 4:45 pm
DS on 11/19/14

I wouldn't rule the DS out for fear of diarrhea issues!! In fact I had bile salt diarrhea for over five years following my gallbladder removal.  Some days I would go 8-10 times a day.  I had the DS in November 2014, I am down 94 pounds and the bile salt diarrhea is gone.  I "go" once a day first thing in the morning. Good luck with making the best decision you and best wishes on your journey to healthiness :)

CerealKiller Kat71
on 6/11/15 5:18 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

Truthfully, the best surgery for your PCOS is the one whose lifestyle and plan is one that you can live with for the rest of your life.  

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Bundlina
on 6/12/15 9:49 am

I had the VSG on October 9th, 2014.  I am down 109 pounds since then.  I can probably count on my two hands the number of times I have had a natural (not birth control pill/drug induced) period in my life prior to my surgery.  My children were born as a result of Clomid because I never ovulated.  A month after my surgery I got my period and have had it EVERY month since every 4 weeks like clockwork.  I wanted the VSG because I didn't want anything inside me rerouted because it really creeped me out.  Also didn't want to deal with the malabsorptive issue but I feel this needs to be a person's personal decision.  Based on my own results, I am very happy with the choice I made.  Hope this helps! 

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1422 views