Getting there slowly-but getting there.

Willie H.
on 6/15/15 1:35 pm
VSG on 08/26/14

Almost at 100 lbs lost! June 26 will be my 10th month since surgery. On the way I've grumbled and complained. I've hit plateaus, slumps, even gained weight. I've been discouraged, I've been overjoyed. This forum and all of your suggestions, advice, counsel, and constructive criticism have led me to where I am at presence! The simple truth is after all that-since August 26, 2014 I've lost 95lbs - averaging baout 9.5 lbs a month! Most of the weight was lost the first 4 months and admittedly the last 6 months have been slow but they have been steady-also when most of the inches come off!

I no longer expect the big jumps in weight loss but I am content to just exercise, eat properly, be healthy and let the weight take care of itself. Yes, I do want to have 100 lbs lost by my Surgeversary (SP?) date of August 26th 2015 and with two months left it does seem like a very realistic goal but hey you never know? People just don't understand you still have to work at it!

I'm just happy where I am now, healthier, joyful, able to do more with my family at parks, picnics, amusement parks, beaches and so forth. I'm actually happy that I still need to lose 30-40 more lbs, because it gives me something to work at for the next few years and I'm enjoying building my strength up and actually changing my body through resistance training.

My golf game has improved immensely, lost about 3 strokes and gained about 25 yards! I also want to start joging and eventually run a 5K, to a 10K, to a 1/2 marathon to a marathon! Ride a bicycle to work! Fortunately, for now I am on no medicine. Cholesterol is normal, blood pressure is low, only problem is I am hypoglycemic so if I do not eat properly I will get weak, the shakes and jittery.

Still a big guy. Waist size 42, shirts 1x-2x, but its a far cry from a 56 waist and 4x shirts! There is so much more I need and want to do in the next few months, next few years, and I look forward to it! Just wanted to shout out: "right now, I'm getting there slowly, but I'm getting there!!!" Thanks to all.

Vertical Gastric Sleeve-(8/26/14)HW 347lbs SW-328lbs CW-247 lbs  GW-212lbs Randolph,                                                                                       "LOVE" is knowing someone has the power to hurt you, yet TRUST that they won't"  "Sing like no one's listening and dance like no one's watching!!"

Kathy S.
on 6/15/15 1:54 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/15/15 2:40 pm

I am 7 years post op. I have a small regain and I plan to get back in my small size by middle of August. My goal is losing 15 lbs...  I can lose 15 lbs (with a relatively low body fat%) in 2 months - why don't you think you can lose 5-10 lbs? 

unless you really don't want to... do you ?

I know i can... I will do it...   so.. set up your mind... do or do not.. there is no try... 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Laura in Texas
on 6/15/15 5:57 pm

That reminds me of a post I read recently on fb- "Do you want to lose weight or do you want to weigh less??" That was simple yet so profound to me. Losing weight requires work. Wanting to simply weigh less implies you are waiting on some divine intervention. 

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Willie H.
on 6/16/15 4:00 am
VSG on 08/26/14

Oh, don't get me wrong. I WILL lose the weight, but I'm not going to be prideful about it nor put a time stamp on it. Remember, I thought based on my early success that I would be down a 100 lbs by March!? Reality, life, injuries, yes even discouragement happens, but it does not stop me from reaching out toward my goals.

There's been times where I have done everything correctly and have actually remained at a plateau for a month or two and even gained weight! Then there were also times where I just relaxed and got off the program and have remained at weight and even lost a lb or two. So I hope my post did not indicate in anyway that I was discouraged or thought I would be unable to lose weight.

I just know the body is an amazing survivor, and although I am eating protein, drinking fluids, exercising, my body is adjusting and although I am giving it all the help I can it will decide when to let the lbs come off. Also the fact that I am doing strength training and adding muscle-although inches are coming off, "weight" i.e. "lbs" are harder to lose. Not that it is a big deal because I am getting healthier and looking better but the "100 lbs lost" is just a big psychological boost and more or less for MY own mindset!

But I get what you are saying and agree: "we are accountable for ourselves" In the past we were not-it was everything else but us-and that is why we got into this BIG mess. We have to be accountable, make the right decisions and take action! So I will just say, on August 26, 2015 when I AM at 100 lbs lost-it will be a very good milestone for me! Thanks, I like your attitude toward this. Attacking bad habits as a enemy-which it is!! and making ourselves accountable. 

Vertical Gastric Sleeve-(8/26/14)HW 347lbs SW-328lbs CW-247 lbs  GW-212lbs Randolph,                                                                                       "LOVE" is knowing someone has the power to hurt you, yet TRUST that they won't"  "Sing like no one's listening and dance like no one's watching!!"

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/16/15 4:27 am

So cool... I really like your attitude...

I know that when I work hard on it, and when I REALLY believe in what I can do - most of the time I REALLY can do it. Itiss

Last weekend I saw the movie - "Tomoorow land" and it reminded me of a very powerfull "law of attraction" principles...

I was wishy-washy about my 15 lbs regain... So every time I got to some magic number - I just stopped working on it.  I was too content with the middle point results, it was getting too hard.... Blah blah blah... No more excuses for me... 

Ii am happy to see you are at similar point.. You KNOW you will get there. 

Hugs. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Willie H.
on 6/16/15 8:10 am
VSG on 08/26/14

Isn't it funny that it used to be when we gained over 30, 40 or 50 or more lbs we started worrying! Now, we KNOW we have to start when it gets to around 5 lbs or so-so EASY to get comfortable and complacent. I'm not at your level or experience but I agree with your mindset, we have to KNOW we can do this. We have gotten this far, yes the tool helped but our most valuable tool is our mind, our belief in ourselves, our ability to remain focused, on track, and just annihilating our bad habits!

Gotta go see that picture "Tomorrow Land"-with George Clooney right? This Friday gonna take family to see Jurassic World, and then my 8 year old on Saturday to see the cartoon  "Inside Out" Tough being an older father (56) but a lot better when you have decent health! I KNOW you will get those lbs off-keep us informed!

Dan1962
on 6/15/15 2:50 pm - Syracuse, NY
VSG on 09/23/14

You lucky SOB, my golf game is in the toilet, looks like I'm standing too far from the ball and swinging around my imaginary stomach!  Seriously, congratulations!  Keep it up!

Willie H.
on 6/16/15 6:35 am
VSG on 08/26/14

Funny! SO true! With the weight lost we tend to use our arms more because they are so much faster now and our swing arc is wider due to our previous girth. Most golfers who lose weight get worse before they get better because now you have many parts working faster. Gotta keep it all compact, both elbows tucked in. I just learn to turn my back away from the ball and then when going forward to just let my arms drop naturally into ball. Still hit a lot of wayward shots but they are hit well! As part of my exercise plan I play 9 holes EVERY Wednesday morning at 5:30am under an hour, and then on every other Friday-early morning about 5:30-6:00AM- my day off I may play 18. I love the walk and since I play very fast by myself I get in pretty good cardio. But it also allows me to get used to my body catching up with my arms and working in unison! 

(deactivated member)
on 6/15/15 5:28 pm

You are doing a great job. You should be very proud of yourself.

Most Active