Salad

healthy2be
on 6/22/15 10:03 am
RNY on 05/04/15

Never thought I would say these words, but I am craving a salad big time right now.  Doesn't even have to be anything fancy.  Little lettuce, sprinkle of cheese, carrots, peas, etc.  I tried to eat a small piece of lettuce with some grilled chicken two weeks ago and got diarrhea.  So, when do you recommend trying salad.  I'm on regular foods and doing well.  I'm holding off on beef until I'm a good six months out because I was told it's hard to tolerate much before that time frame.  Thanks!

crystal M.
on 6/22/15 10:21 am - Joliet, IL

I love salad now.  I love eating salad with grilled chicken...Ooooo yummy.  Last week we had chipotle grilled chicken and I put that on my salad.  It was the greatest. 

Meggles07
on 6/22/15 11:43 am - Canada

My clinic recommended waiting until after three months to try salad and other raw vegetables.  I'm not a huge fan, so I just tried two nights ago.  It tasted okay, but my stomach was a bit unhappy after - which could have been the lettuce or the dressing (not sure).  Hope that helps :)

Meg~

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/22/15 1:12 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

You may be able to tolerate beef before then, it may depend on the cut/texture. Something like a steak is going to be harder to digest, but meat that has been cooked a long time (like a crockpot roast) is probably going to be easier. I was able to eat ground beef in spaghetti sauce at a few months out.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Chilipepper
on 6/22/15 2:54 pm

I puked lettuce up for 6 months. Nice big salads are nice big bowls of carbs.  I would invest in a nice filet of beef cooked medium rare. Its like butter. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

helionoftroy
on 6/22/15 4:53 pm - Lexington, SC
RNY on 03/23/15

One cup of iceberg lettuce contains: 10 calories, 0 grams of fat, 1 gram protein, 2 grams carbs (1 of dietary fiber), 7 percent of vitamin A, 3 percent of vitamin C, 1 percent of calcium and 2 percent of iron. It also contains trace amounts of potassium, folate, vitamin K, magnesium and phosphorus. Sometimes you just gotta have a salad. The first thing I craved when I could have whole food was a salad.

Chilipepper
on 6/22/15 5:34 pm

I don't need the nutritional counts. I would rather eat a cup of steak than a bowl of "iceberg' lettuce. You eat your "salad" I will eat my protein.  

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

hollykim
on 6/23/15 8:19 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On June 22, 2015 at 4:53 PM Pacific Time, helionoftroy wrote:

One cup of iceberg lettuce contains: 10 calories, 0 grams of fat, 1 gram protein, 2 grams carbs (1 of dietary fiber), 7 percent of vitamin A, 3 percent of vitamin C, 1 percent of calcium and 2 percent of iron. It also contains trace amounts of potassium, folate, vitamin K, magnesium and phosphorus. Sometimes you just gotta have a salad. The first thing I craved when I could have whole food was a salad.

it is not the lettuce that it the problem. It is the other things that ppl usually add. I am sure you sit down to a bowl of iceberg lettuce  only and thoroughly enjoy every bite. 

helionoftroy
on 6/23/15 10:00 am - Lexington, SC
RNY on 03/23/15

Actually, the salad I make has cheese, garbanzo beans, and either ham or turkey with a homemade vinaigrette. Sometimes I get fancy and add shrimp to the iceberg. What other things are you referring to? Croutons? Ranch dressing? Or is it maybe other veggies that are the problem because they are full of carbs? Should we toss out the tomatoes, carrots, cucumbers, and peppers because they contain carbs? How about blueberries? Should we eliminate them as well? I suppose if we want to stay strictly to all meat we should make room for some type of laxative. Thanks, but I would rather have a bowl of salad full of healthy carbs and not suffer with constipation.

jazzycatz
on 6/23/15 10:29 am - Joppa, MD

Member of the People Against Salad Repression, huh? (it's a joke) But I am picturing someone in a giant salad bowl rubbing themselves with greens and declaring they will never leave them. Sorry, I've just never seen anyone be so protective of salad before. (And there are a number of vegetarians here)

I got nothing against salad but did you read the original post? The OP had RNY surgery less than 2 months ago. They are really not ready to tackle salad. They need all the space they have to get their protein in that early out. They may be able to eat salad..but they don't need to eat it. Not now.

In a few months and years they will have all the time in the world for salad. That's all.

Most Active