post-op vitamin options

Jane78
on 6/26/15 6:59 am
VSG on 06/22/15

I had my gastric sleeve surgery this past Monday (06/22/15) and was discharged yesterday and am now home. Yay!! I had a horrible time with vomiting and nausea so it took an extra day to get that under control. I had initially bought the bariatric advantage very berry chewable vitamins-I took my first one today and it made me vomit. I believe it was the combination of the "vitamin" smell and taste. Are there any options for vitamins that don't have this smell and/or a vitamin small enough that it is possible to just swallow? I have always had an issue with the odor of vitamins so this doesn't surprise me, now I'm just worried about how this will affect my health. Thank you in advance for the helpful advice!

bruindiva92
on 6/26/15 1:52 pm
Revision on 03/29/17

I had the same thing happen..the smell made me nauseous!  I switched to Celebrate Multivitamin Orange Flavor which is chewable.  I don't have that problem anymore.

Good Luck finding the multivitamin that works for you

Kiwideb
on 6/26/15 3:55 pm
VSG on 01/19/15

I stressed about this back at the beginning - getting in my vitamins. Bariatric advantage chewables made me vomit like these did you.

When I asked my NUT and surgeon, they were not concerned if I held off a week or two to let things heal up a bit and start on my regular vitamins (bariatric advantage but capsules). Obviously it's not a pass on taking vitamins regularly, and while they wanted you on a regimen ASAP, right after surgery I think the main emphasis is on fluids; protein and vitamins take a back seat for a week or two if necessary.

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 6/26/15 4:26 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

I hated Bariatric Advantage chewable multis 

I switched to Celebrate Mandarin Orange or Grape chewable multis and have no problems.  For post op WLS patients, it's hard to find a multi at this stage that is small enough just to swallow.  Many people do switch to other vitamins down the road, but right now you're not going to get enough nutrients/vitamins from the limited food/protein shakes.  

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Eggface
on 6/26/15 6:02 pm - Sunny Southern, CA

Celebrate has this (don't quote me on it but I believe it's $3) sample pack they will send you with assorted vitamins they sell (if you phone them you can ask for a specific flavor I believe) anyway... it comes with a $3 coupon off the first order you place so basically it ends up being free. I use them mostly... they have a chewable grape I love and their B12 cherry I love... doesn't taste like you just licked dust LOL. They have some shakes that are great for new post-ops protein + vitamins... the vanilla cake batter is still one of my favs. 

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

poplargreys
on 6/26/15 8:07 pm
VSG on 03/31/15

I got a ton of vitamin samples from my nutritionist when I started my pre-op diet, and every single one of the wafer/chewable multis made me sick, same with the calcium. I tolerated the Trader Joe's high potency chewables really well, so that's what I took for the first three months, and I am switching to a regular pill multi this week. I am still using the Bariatric Advantage softchews for my daily calcium, but plan to switch to a regular pill once I finish the bag I have open. I use NOW B-12 sublingual tablets and plan to continue with those as long as my labs are good, I don't want to do the shots as long as the sublinguals work.

NikkyBeauty
on 6/26/15 11:29 pm - Sacramento , CA
VSG on 02/18/15

Oh my lord I started with the bariatric advantage chewable's and they were like DEATH! I switched to the capsules, and was told to open the capsule and mix them in with my protein shake it completely took that god awful taste away. I was told I couldn't swallow pills until 4 months out but I started at 2 and it didn't hurt me!

HW: 465lbs SW: 387lbs CW:??? GW:175

Jane78
on 6/27/15 5:42 am
VSG on 06/22/15

Thank you all for the advice!!  I may check into the sample packs and then ask my doctor about taking the capsules. I couldn't even take prenatal vitamins because of the vitamin smell and taste, I just have an uber sensitive nose to mouth ratio I guess, lol. Thanks again!!

Valerie G.
on 6/27/15 8:49 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Patchmd.com

You dont have to swallow a thing

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Jane78
on 6/27/15 10:36 am
VSG on 06/22/15

Oh wow..patchmd sounds amazing!! Thank you so much for pointing me in that direction!!!

Most Active