First Time Poster Long Time Lurker - 3 months before solids VSG

ImGoingToDisney
on 6/29/15 5:37 pm

Long timer lurker first time poster.  My surgery is scheduled for Tuesday, July 7 at University of Cincinnati Hospital.  I have been reading all I can, watching video's, and generally trying to prepare for my post sleeve life.  I am on a 2 week full liquid pre-op which I have noticed a lot of folks posting about.  My question is about post-op.  The first 30 days after surgery I am on a full liquid diet, followed by 30 days of a full pureed diet, followed by 30 days of "mushies" like eggs and soft veggies, followed by basically anything I want (keeping it high protein and low carb) with no sugar.  By my calculations I will have 74 days before I can eat eggs and 104 before I can start adding regular food.  To me that seems like a long time (not worried about hunger just worried about nutrition).  Has anyone else had a post op diet this strict?  It is the standard plan at that hospital. I am on the lower end of WLS with a current BMI of 39.  Please help me put my fears to rest.

BTW  - I have learned so much on this site. 

Nich_R
on 6/29/15 8:59 pm

I haven't had surgery yet (scheduled for July 8th). My post-op diet is 2 weeks liquids, 2 weeks puree, and 2 weeks soft solids. I have a 2 hour "class" tomorrow to go over the post-op diet in detail along with other post-op stuff. My diet sounds similar to yours except the duration of each stage. My pre-op diet is also a little different. I'm on a 3 week lean protein, low-fat, veggies, low calorie diet and then full liquid diet the day before the surgery.

Nichole | Portland, OR | VSG 07.08.15 | HW 371.1 | SW 348.2 | CW 199.6 | GW 150

hollykim
on 6/30/15 7:58 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On June 29, 2015 at 5:37 PM Pacific Time, ImGoingToDisney wrote:

Long timer lurker first time poster.  My surgery is scheduled for Tuesday, July 7 at University of Cincinnati Hospital.  I have been reading all I can, watching video's, and generally trying to prepare for my post sleeve life.  I am on a 2 week full liquid pre-op which I have noticed a lot of folks posting about.  My question is about post-op.  The first 30 days after surgery I am on a full liquid diet, followed by 30 days of a full pureed diet, followed by 30 days of "mushies" like eggs and soft veggies, followed by basically anything I want (keeping it high protein and low carb) with no sugar.  By my calculations I will have 74 days before I can eat eggs and 104 before I can start adding regular food.  To me that seems like a long time (not worried about hunger just worried about nutrition).  Has anyone else had a post op diet this strict?  It is the standard plan at that hospital. I am on the lower end of WLS with a current BMI of 39.  Please help me put my fears to rest.

BTW  - I have learned so much on this site. 

your "nutrition" will come from breaking down the fat your body has stored,so nutrition will be covered. Breaking down the stored fat is what causes weight loss.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/30/15 8:28 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Different doctors generally have different post-op diet plans; yours sounds a bit slower than many, but totally normal. (I had 2 weeks full liquid, 1 week puree, 2 weeks mushies.)

You'll be taking a heavy-duty vitamin to make up for the fact that you'll only be getting ~500 cal/day, and eating as much protein as you can. That's the standard procedure for all post-ops, whether they're one month out or six. You'll also have blood work before each check-up with your surgeon-- likely 2 weeks post op, then monthly, then every 3 or 6 months afterwards. That will let him/her know if there are any serious deficiency.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

spatch
on 7/1/15 5:43 am

forgot to tell you  I weighted 257 may 7 that's the day my wife had surgery the day of my surgery it was 243 today I weigh 228 and my goal is 165 just what I weighted in high school a few years ago!!!!!  my wife had the same surgery with a different dr and she stayed in the hospital for three days but our diets were the same she is on solid diet now and it doesn't bother me at all and my daughter had surgery about 8 yrs ago but she gained abiut 50 lbs back , looking back if we had have known she was having depression we would have helped her but she turned to booze for help and we just didn't see it until we came home from shopping and found her passed out on her bed she would drink after we went to bed or were away no she has help and eating like my wife to help her loose weight so be ware

Most Active