Please help with support and weight gain

neenee1721
on 7/1/15 4:13 pm - IL

Hello, 

Ireally need some advice/words of encouragement please and thanks so much in advance.  I am a gastric bypass patient, and almost 2 years out.  All of the sudden I just startedgaining weight, and I feel like I'm not stopping.  I recently started working out and doing proper eating again I feel blah and hopeless that I'm not going to lose.  I feel like nothing is happening.  I don't want to keep gsining and I feel like I really screwed up :(.  Is this normal will I be able to go back down ever? 156 is my lowest weight since surgery.  There was one point in time this year I wasn't making the best food choices ever, and not working out like I should be.  Please help!!

Renee

TanyaRN
on 7/2/15 7:18 am - Palm Bay, FL

the surgery is a tool. up the protein, up the water, up the exercise....you will lose

Tracy D.
on 7/2/15 8:03 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Are you logging your food faithfully each day?  Tell us what you ate on Monday and Tuesday and we can probably give you some good tips for what to change up.  Or just encourage you to stay on the path if it looks great! 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 7/2/15 11:55 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

The gastric bypass has a limited time benefit of malabsorption, usually between 18-24 months.

It sounds to me like you've passed that honeymoon period and really need to track what you eat.  Your body will no longer help you without the malabsorption component.

I recommend using an app like My Fitness Pal and logging everything you eat.  Then you can assess how many calories you're consuming in a day and calculate how much you need to reduce in order to lose weight.  Unfortunately, our surgeries are only a part of the solution to obesity.  Lifestyle changes and constant vigilance are necessary for long term success, or so the vets tell me.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

mrs_smith_canada
on 7/3/15 6:29 am

Hi Renee,

No magic bullet I'm afraid - almost 4 years out and the last year has been a struggle to keep my weight in check. And I do work out every day! 

I was eating too many calories and had a rebound weight gain of 15 pounds - I've since lost most of that because I reduced to 1200 calories a day and maintained daily fitness... 

More than 30 percent of patients have weight regain so you are now alone in the struggle - the real work of maintenance will begin now and continue for ever! 

Good luck! 

07-01-2011 SW 311 LBS

WEIGHT LOSS PRE-SURGERY 37 LBS

SURGERY DATE 10-06-2011 274 LBS 

GOAL WEIGHT 145 

CW 143 

Most Active