How much should I be losing per week?

nicola3301
on 7/3/15 1:23 am

I had gastric bypass a little over 8 weeks ago and have only lost like 35 pounds. I noticed that this week I haven't lost anything at all. Why would this be? Is something wrong?

RNY 4-27-15    Dr. Schauer    Cleveland Clinic               

The Salty Hag
on 7/3/15 4:37 am
RNY on 05/20/13

Okay first of all, you've lost roughly 4 lbs a week since surgery.  You're on track. If you are still worried, post your menu, there could be a few things that need tweaking. 

There are SO many factors that influence our rate of loss. Your beginning weight, whether or not you are a revision are two reasons for slower weight loss, and finally...some people just lose more slowly than others. 

Weight loss is often a stair-step affair. ( Lose, stop, lose, stop. ) 

I know it's difficult, but please try to avoid comparing yourself to others. Weight loss is a highly individual thing. 

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

White Dove
on 7/3/15 6:00 am - Warren, OH

Just put your numbers into the Post-Op planner under Resources at the top of the page.  It gives a very accurate idea of what to expect when.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Mary Gee
on 7/3/15 12:00 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

I love it.  "Only" 35 pounds?  What were your expectations?

Everyone loses at a different rate.....and different pattern.  Some people will even have weeks where they gain some weight.  Chart your losses and after a while you will probably see a pattern.  You know, three weeks losing, then no change, then three weeks losing, then no change, etc.  If you have a gain, don't panic --- just stick to your program and you will lose weight.  You may even experience a "stall" -- again, don't panic, it's natural.  Sometimes the scale is not our friend -- limit your "weigh-ins" to once a week.

Congratulations on your progress to date - you're doing great!

Mary

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

spatch
on 7/3/15 2:25 pm

my wife had surgery may 7th that day I started walking three miles aday my surgery was june 24th and I have lost 30 lbs since may 7 or 20 lbs since the 24th of june yes different hospitals have different rules as for diets pre and post op. my wife and I  had  our surgery at Dartmough Hitch****  in lebeonon n.h. two different drs but same pre op diet and post op dietnext weds I start soft food like chilli Yes chilli chopped up hamburg veggies ect the two weeks later solid foods my diet now I don't feel hungry . and yes there will be weeks that you don't loose but don't worry it happens I know 2 people that didn't loose for 4 weeks  

NYMom222
on 7/3/15 7:43 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

There is no 'should'... everyone is different.If you have lost every week up until now, you have done very well. Many people go into a stall in the first month. I did. Keep doing what you are supposed to do and it will happen. Even in the beginning, even though it goes against our logic, there will be weeks you don't lose. For many people it looks more like a stair as someone said lose-stop-lose-stop-lose.... Doesn't sound like anything is wrong.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

rosettaray
on 7/4/15 4:48 pm

Make sure you've not resorted to eating your old favorite foods that caused the massive weight gain in the first place.

Most Active