Introduction. And some questions for a newbie.

maryeuh
on 7/1/15 10:23 pm

Hi everyone. My name is Murriah and I  currently looking into wls. But before I try I just want to know do I even have a chance? I guess I'm a "lightweight" with a bmi of 36.9. I'm 5'4. Some joint issues. But that's it. I've talked to my doctor about my weight and he gave me a referral to a dietician. I didn't bring up wls because I was too scared. I'll give the dietician a go and if I don't see results then I'll talk to my pcm. I'm just worried that he'll just tell me I'm not big enough and say no. I have tricare and see they are difficult to get approved through but my base offers the surgery at the hospital, does that make approval easier. 

Just a few days ago I got some blood work done for my weight gain and an X-ray done on my foot since it's giving me issues. I've literally struggled with weight all my life and I'm ready to stop trying and start doing. 

Thanks for listening to me!

Bette B.
on 7/2/15 7:28 am

Congratulations on the first step to your new life.

My primary suggestion is to talk to your insurance company to see a) if WLS is covered and b) what kind of hoops you'll have to jump through to get approved. Usually, insurances won't cover WLS at your BMI unless you have one or more comorbidities like diabetes, high blood pressure, etc.

Next, talk to your doctor. I'll tell you what I've told people a hundred times: your doc works for you, and needs to be supportive of your improved health. Tell him/her that you're seriously considering WLS and would like his/her support.

Start investigating surgeons and your area and if they offer one, go to a seminar.

And don't forget to start evaluating all your WLS options so you can decide which one is right for you.

Best of luck to you!

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 7/2/15 8:57 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Generally speaking, surgeons can approve you with a BMI between 35 - 40 if you have one or more comorbidities-- high blood pressure, sleep apnea, diabetes, etc. Joint pain is sometimes considered, but it really depends on the doctor.

As previously mentioned, you'll want to call your insurance company and/or find your benefit book to see what the guidelines are. (My plan, BCBS, for example, required 5 years of documented BMI 40+ or 35-40 with comorbidity.) If it looks like you'll qualify, then you should look for a surgeon in your area and attend an info seminar to get more details.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

maryeuh
on 7/2/15 12:29 pm

Thank you guys for the response. I will have to seriously talk about it with my doctor. My insurance covers it, but they too want to see the 6 months documented weight loss. I'm starting that with the dietician next week. So i know it's going to be a long process. Thank you :)

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 7/2/15 3:26 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

A pre-op diet is really common, so you're not alone! At least it gives you lots of time to do your homework :)

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/2/15 3:34 pm - OH

Tricare will approve you with a BMI of 35 with one comorbidity.  Most insurance plans don't consider joint pain a comorbidity, but some will consider it if you are actually diagnosed with advanced/severe arthritis (so ask for an X-ray and evaluation if you have not already gotten one).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

spatch
on 7/3/15 2:30 pm

you are rite tri care does cover wls I have martins point here in Vermont and they covered my wifes and mine so ya for the service rite?

maryeuh
on 7/2/15 6:28 pm

Thank you. I have gotten and X-ray of my left foot for pain but haven't gotten a call back so I assume nothing is wrong. Same goes for my blood work that was done Monday. Idk if I should call or just wait. 

Nic M
on 7/4/15 3:07 pm

Which surgery are you considering? Or are you unsure about that? You might be surprised with how much a dietician will be able to help you. But make sure you document everything, as well, in case you do decide to go the WLS route. Best of luck to you. I hope things go well, whatever you decide on. 

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

maryeuh
on 7/4/15 8:44 pm
On July 4, 2015 at 3:07 PM Pacific Time, Nic M wrote:

Which surgery are you considering? Or are you unsure about that? You might be surprised with how much a dietician will be able to help you. But make sure you document everything, as well, in case you do decide to go the WLS route. Best of luck to you. I hope things go well, whatever you decide on. 

Thank you. I have yet to decide what surgery I'm going to try and go with. I'm going to try and stick with the dietician for 6 months and if nothing works I could use that as my 6 month requirement that most insurance policies require. I'm hoping it does help. Thank you so much. :)