Charity for weight loss surgery

Violet88
on 7/2/15 10:22 pm

Hello everyone!  I'm new here. I've been lurking but decided to join. I'm really interested in having gastric sleeve surgery and was wondering if anyone here has used a surgeon who did charity surgeries?   I have no insurance at the current time.  TIA

Smallbites2015
on 7/3/15 10:30 am

Have you looked into one of the Afforadable healthcare plans? They do have some low cost plans and might cover the surgery.

Just a thought. Or maybe a Go fund me project that you can get contributions

Violet88
on 7/4/15 1:11 pm

Thank you for your kind response. I'm checking into obamacare and seeing if it covers WLS.  Thanks for being nice.   

mysty888
on 7/4/15 9:19 pm
RNY on 01/22/15

In California, all the Obamacare plans HAVE to cover it. I was finally able to have surgery after years of wanting and needing it, on an Obamacare plan. Thank you for saving my life Obamacare!!!

Violet88
on 7/4/15 9:28 pm

Wow I didn't realize this!  I'm not in California but I'll check more into obamacare.  That would be awesome! Thanks so much!

Mary Gee
on 7/3/15 12:14 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

Don't think you'd have much success with GoFundMe.  You could look into a part-time job at Home Depot or StarBucks - I think I've read they offer insurance that covers WLS to part-time workers.  Or get a loan and have surgery in Mexico. The more you read here, the  more you'll learn, and you'll discover that numerous people faced the same dilemma -- it's not easy, but if you really want the surgery, you'll find a solution.  Are you employed?  If not, if you're disabled you should qualify for Social Security Disability benefits.  If you're not disabled, you should be able to get a part-time job and save enough money for surgery in Mexico.

Good luck.

Mary

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

NYMom222
on 7/3/15 7:52 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Actually my son worked for Starbucks as a second job for the insurance for several years. It was good insurance, he had BC/BS and he and his wife used it for the birth of my grandson. Don't know if they cover Bariatric, but it was good insurance. Having worked retail in several places, sometimes they say they have insurance for part timers but it stinks.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Violet88
on 7/4/15 1:12 pm

Thank you so much for your kind response and the info you gave me!!

Nic M
on 7/3/15 4:00 pm

Even if the surgeon waived his fee, the hospital would surely have to charge, unfortunately. (I asked my gynecologist to do my hysterectomy at Home Depot since I happened to see him in the parking lot, but he claimed that he'd feel more comfortable in a surgical setting, go figure.) 

I think as others have suggested, you might have better luck with purchasing insurance or getting a part time job that offers bariatric procedures as part of the coverage. I just don't think it's likely you'll find a surgeon and hospital willing to provide surgery free of charge. But I could be wrong. Never heard of it happening, however. Good luck to you. 

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

Mary Gee
on 7/3/15 6:57 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

Haven't you got a picky surgeon!!  Maybe if it was the Lowe's parking lot, he might have considered it.  

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175