six month diet plan ??

jpend
on 7/6/15 3:12 pm

Ok..here goes. I have a question regarding my six month diet plan requirement. I muat have it documented by a dr that doesn't do bariatric surgery. My PCP said weigh****chers should meet the requirement. I called my insurance company and NO ONE can give mw an answer as to whether it√ will meet thE requirement. I don't want to "waste" six months to find out. Has anyone used it t.o meet their requirement? Must you go t.o meetings or can it bE online??

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 7/6/15 3:41 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

My insurance said it could count, but you would need to go to in-person meetings and have an official weigh-in.

Can you just do monthly check-in's with your PCP? That's what I did, and many others here have done. Keep track of what you eat and make an appointment with your PCP to get a weight recorded and chat about your progress.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

jpend
on 7/6/15 3:46 pm

I think that is what i am going to do. Between work full time,  full time in school and having a family I don't have much extra time at the moment. 

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 7/6/15 3:48 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

You can also ask your surgeon about it, s/he should have experience with different insurance plans and can give you an idea if this is something most of his/her patients do. Best to confirm with the insurance company as well. But getting away for an end-of-the-day weigh in with the GP isn't bad at all :)

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

kathkeb
on 7/6/15 3:46 pm

You need to get an answer from your insurance in writing on this.

We can tell you what we think --- but unless you get it in writing, you could definitely have to re-do it.

As far as WW on line, honestly I don't think that is has the level of accountability that most would find acceptable --- you 'self report' and only have the documentation of the fact that you paid for it --- but all of your weigh-in's are the honor system.

I didn't have to do a pre-op diet because I was self pay --- but I have been a WW lifetime member for 5 years now -- and only attended in person.

Kath

AmyDee123
on 7/6/15 8:41 pm - Lutz, FL
RNY on 06/12/15

Even if they say WW would fulfill it, I'd still make an appt with the PCP once a month to discuss your diet and exercise and weight.  Why do the bare minimum, especially if there is question about whether it is enough.  Balls to the wall and get yourself that approval.  Just be aware that the insurance company needs to see in the medical records that the doctor discusses your diet, exercise, and weight during the visit.  If that is not in there it will not be counted.

LapBand Weight 460 (2006) | Panni Removal Weight 200 (2008) | 3rd kid (2009)
Revision to RNY Weight 355 (June 2015)

CerealKiller Kat71
on 7/7/15 5:22 am
RNY on 12/31/13

My insurance carrier is infamous for suddenly not accepting things (I get it in writing) and is well-known to deny WLS.  Therefore, I made a PCP apt every month within the month so there was absolutely no way they could say I hadn't completed my NINE MONTH requirement.  Two women who went through the program at the same time were denied at the same time.  The one woman had 32 days between an apt and the other had used weigh****chers.  I am not sure if they won on appeal or what -- but the one (the ww lady) had her WLS two months after me -- so something was worked out.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

jpend
on 7/7/15 10:11 am

Thanks everyone!! I am going to do the ww and check in with my PCP every month as well. Maybe that will

satisfy the insurance company. I did speak ti someone there who is supposed to be mailing me the requirements😁

Most Active