Gain Muscle-Burn Fat-The person who asked

SkinnyScientist
on 7/7/15 7:47 am, edited 7/7/15 7:49 am

Hi!  This message is directed to the gal  who asked about maintaining muscle while losing weight, whether it was possible.  She asked this question back in about April.  The thread later degenerateed into an argument where someone accused her of trying to "school" them.

The May/June issue of Muscle and Fitness Hers addresses this and gives a workout or two.

If you are interested. Message me with your email, and i will pdf the article and email it to you.

This is a cross post.

Sorry the magnifying glass/search feature for OH is not working on this computer!

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Grim_Traveller
on 7/7/15 12:09 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

It's a bit of a tease to refer to information you have, without supplying at least a brief synopsis of the article.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

SkinnyScientist
on 7/7/15 12:41 pm

Oh. I am sorry!  Muscle and Fitness Hers claims it is possible.  They seem to equate "fat burning" with weight loss...and give a few workouts. They do claim it is possible to gain and preserve muscle while burning fat. 

They cite an exercise physiologist (or at least someone credentialed).

My thoughts. a) They interviewed someone in the field. b) Body Builders/Figure Competitors read this mag, c) they have lots of "infomericals" in written form and d) put WWE divas on the cover for two magazine counting.

Overall, I like the mag for the workouts it gives me (especially cable machines) but I try to realize/identify when they are trying to sell a new powder or stacker. This article didnt seem to be pushing anything..so I dont see why it would hurt to try. Send me your email and I will send the pdf to you.

I read it, but not all that closely and did it very quickly. 

SkinnyScientist
on 7/8/15 7:37 am

Hi Grim.  Here is the article and synopisis

Muscle and Fitness Hers. May/June 2015. pg. 87-89.

"You can drop body fat and gain muscle more easily when you're new to training, but it gets more difficult as you progress because the lower your body fat, the harder it is to preserve lean muscle mass" says Brad Schoenfeld Ph.D., a certified strength and conditioning coach and an assistant professor in the exercise science department at Lehman College in the Bronx, NY (pg. 87, paragraph 2).

"We've got your road map to help you shed fat and keep your metabolism humming..."

1. Maximize your training time [by] focus[ing] on using a variety of mult-muscle, multi-joint exercises like squats, presses, push-ups [Skinny's favorite-NOT!], and rows.

2. Scale Back on Cardio. doing a ton of cardio when you're in a caloric deficit can lead to overtraining. ...your body demands energy and will rebel if it doesnt have the capacity to properly recover. 

3. Fuel up properly-pre workout meal. Cutting calories too severely translates to muscle breakdown...

4. Sleep more. Aim for 7-9 hours

There ya go!

Mary Gee
on 7/7/15 5:50 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

Why not just reference the article and provide the link or info............ what's the purpose in adding a comment that "the thread later degenerated into an argument..........

Double, double toil and trouble, fire burn and cauldron bubble...

Looks like someone's stirring the pot.... 

Guess I'll cross-post this.... 

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

SkinnyScientist
on 7/8/15 7:21 am

"what's the purpose in adding a comment that "the thread later degenerated into an argument.........."

-So that the person would self-identify. School[ing] is an interesting and memorable turn of phrase. As you can see, she DID recognize herself from the thread discussion.

"Why not just reference the article and provide the link or info............"

_I did not provide a link because I have a physical copy.  I did not provide a reference because I did not have the hard copy on me at the time and I am not hauling it in to work to scan if the person of interest wasnt even remaining on these boards. Nonetheless, you have made and excellent suggestion and I am happy to provide the reference:

Muscle and Fitness Hers. May/June 2015. pg. 87-89.

"You can drop body fat and gain muscle more easily when you're new to training, but it gets more difficult as you progress because the lower your body fat, the harder it is to preserve lean muscle mass" says Brad Schoenfeld Ph.D., a certified strength and conditioning coach and an assistant professor in the exercise science department at Lehman College in the Bronx, NY (pg. 87, paragraph 2).

As far as pot stirring, see the self-identification blurb above.  I am trying to help someone, and she appears pleased that her question was remembered.  Perhaps, you are seeing problems where there are none and are  stirring said pot all on your own.

I shall too cross post!!!  You reference suggestion was most excellent as many can go to their library, pick up a copy, and read it for themselves!  Thank you for your positive, constructive contribution!

Have a great day!

Sisterscaleback
on 7/7/15 11:33 pm
RNY on 06/16/14

Hi again! Thanks so much for replying with more info! It was me who posted the original question :) 

I have PM'd you with my email! 

Thanks so much!

SkinnyScientist
on 7/8/15 7:07 am

There you go!  It was you!  :)  Sending it out tonight!

Most Active