2 year post op weight gain

luvnuttydog
on 7/29/15 7:24 am

I have gained back 30 lbs since last fall. Had alot of stressers in the past year causing alot of emotional eating of bread, sugars, snacks and alcohol..   :/   This is the first time I have gained weight after surgery. My question is, is it possible to lose this weight again? Ive heard its extrememly hard to re lose the weight.. I wanna know what im up against. Please share any success stories of losing regained weight. I need some motivation..  Thanks

kaniky
on 7/29/15 8:54 am
RNY on 05/18/15

I'm only 10 weeks post-surgery so I don't have any words of advice as a long-term loser.  But I would think that if you go back to eating the way you did when you started your weight loss journey you should have success again.  I'm sorry you had such a difficult time but I'm sure you can do this!

I never said it would be easy. I said it would be worth it.
M1: -15, M2: -14, M3: -8, M4 -11, M5 -8, M6 -7, M7 -8, M8 -4

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/29/15 12:11 pm

Not sure how far from surgery you are..and what surgery you had, but for most of us losing the regain is possible, but may be much more difficult. 

I am 7 years post op RNY and losing regain is tough.. Most my food choices are great, but a couple of glasses of wine 2 times a week make me gain weigh****ch for the empty calories in alcohol... 

no more "weekend occasional ****tail" for me

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

E_Saenz
on 7/29/15 12:20 pm - Grand Rapids , MI
VSG on 08/12/15

Get back to basics it a matter of choice only you can fix that you did it once you can do it again.

Elia Maria Saenz

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 7/29/15 12:29 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

You can absolutely lose the weight, as long as you make smart choices. You still have your tool of a smaller stomach, so go back to basics (as you did right after surgery): cut the carbs, load up on protein, get all of your fluids in, and get moving.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Zee Starrlite
on 7/29/15 12:35 pm

You are up against yourself (as we all are)  We can be our own worst enemy or our very best friend!

People Can and Do lose weight without weight loss surgery at all so why couldn't you lose weight with the bonus of still having a WLS tool.  

You can lose if you cut out all the junk you mentioned you've been eating "bread, sugar, snacks, and alcohol".  

Get back to your post-op rules.

All Best

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

Tracy D.
on 7/29/15 1:10 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Year Two regain:  common  Losing it again:  entirely possible.  Been there, done that unfortunately.  

You need to rid yourself of every single simple carb and put yourself on a strict no bread/sugar/snacks/booze plan.  Back to basics - eggs, dairy, dense protein and green veggies.  Keep calories to 1000-1200, protein 80-100 and carbs under 80 if you can.  And you WILL lose!  

It's not going to be fast like Year One.  But it will happen.  I gained almost 15 lbs. in Year Two because of messing around with my food, thinking I could get away with that crap.  I've been able to get it all off plus a couple extra pounds.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Jackie T.
on 7/30/15 10:30 am - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

Okay, I am right there with you!  We can do this.  I am 2.5 years out.  I am not making excuses but I too have been on the go for the past two months especially and feel like I have been working 2 full times jobs (only getting paid for 1)!  I have quit making my lunch and I am eating out a lot all three meals.  I had planned on starting back on the basics next week but looked at my calendar it is full again each night so no time to cook.  I will start making better choices immediately but get really strict on August 10.  It is so easy to just let things slip and for the weight to come back on.  I plan on going back to eating high protein, getting a good nights rest, stocking my fridge with vegetables, walking.  If I don't take care of myself, then I am going to screw up badly and put the weight back on.  Let's both get rid of this extra 30 lbs!

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

canter4u
on 7/30/15 7:24 pm

Wow your post sounds just like me! Good luck hopefully you and I can get back on track. I do not want to quit beer all together but I am going to cut back and see if that helps.

sanantoniorose1960
on 8/19/15 7:18 pm - Austin, TX

Try instead to plan on the beer calories/carbs/fats and then switch something out for that.

That's what I do.

Most Active