Bathroom question???

sweetpea68
on 7/27/15 7:12 pm

Thank goodness I have found this group to ask questions.I apologize if this is TMI....but I had RNY in 1997 and since then I have the most foul smelling gas and bowel movements. Does anyone else experience this? 

E_Saenz
on 7/27/15 8:33 pm - Grand Rapids , MI
VSG on 08/12/15

My best friend has the same issue she had rny with complications whenever she eats too much sugar or carbs and don't eat enough yogurt she has awful gas and also stuff like ice cream milk and such.  Not sure if you might call your Surgeon and ask what to do they're educated in the ins and outs of rny.

Elia Maria Saenz

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/28/15 3:35 am

It is most likely the diet. I avoid most fits that can cause that. 

Specifically any sugar alcohols, simple carbs, and ...beans and corn. Also - some raw veggies can really cause a lot of gas. 

Elimination diet- then try to introduce one food at a time to see what is causing it. 

Btw- c some SF items have a lot of SA (sugar alcohols) - really can cause a lot of nasty gas. Even SF gum is a no-no for me. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

beckyp0320
on 7/28/15 6:44 am

I'm glad I'm not the only one! I'm only 1 mth post op and man my s**t stinks (pun attended!)! :p I have to put my shirt over my nose! All I have been eating is eggs, cheese and chicken usually. Oh and yogurt....I was wondering if this was just me...oh and I did have the RNY too.

MickeyDee
on 7/28/15 6:46 pm

While doing the diet checks, I'd recommend using some Devrom.  It's a substance available online which is a fecal deodorant.  Takes out the stink, but doesn't do anything about gas generation.  At least you'll be able to stay in the room without blaming the dog.

Ladytazz
on 7/28/15 8:29 pm

Did you have a distal procedure?  Many times foul smelling gas and bowel movements are a result of malabsorption.

It could also be bacterial overgrowth or c diff.

After my first WLS I lived with horrendous gas and stool odor.  My first procedure was very malabsorptive.  I also had blind limb syndrome, which caused the bacterial overgrowth.  My revision corrected this and I haven't had a problem since.

Bottom line, this is not normal or something you should have to live with if it negatively affects your quality of life.  Talk to your surgeon or a gastroenterologist.  Bacterial overgrowth can often be treated with Flagyl and then probiotics.  You don't have to live with this.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Most Active