Low Blood Sugar?

Willie H.
on 8/18/15 12:15 pm
VSG on 08/26/14

Does anyone deal with low blood sugar - hypoglycemia? Sometimes just in a normal day I can get very week, jittery and light-headed. Usually it is not that bad but if I exert myself even just a little in the heat I become weak, jittery and light-headed. Especially last Sunday was it bad and I had about 3 episodes that day. Once when vacuuming the car. Then later when walking with two five gallons of water upstairs and then again while washing and shining the car. Going into Costco and getting nuts and raisins saved me. I'm concerned because this had been happening often and frequently to me as of late. It used to happen to me when playing R-Ball or basketball when I was younger and in pretty good shape so it's always been a issue and I guess that is why I was not concerned before. My father died from diabetes and I was pre-diabetic before the weight loss. It just seems like it is very often now-almost every day. Even as I sit here and type my head feels strange, buzzy, distant. I just ate a small salad with beef strips, and a 1/2 peach for dessert. Anyone else experienced this?

Vertical Gastric Sleeve-(8/26/14)HW 347lbs SW-328lbs CW-247 lbs  GW-212lbs Randolph,                                                                                       "LOVE" is knowing someone has the power to hurt you, yet TRUST that they won't"  "Sing like no one's listening and dance like no one's watching!!"

White Dove
on 8/18/15 12:44 pm - Warren, OH

It is fairly common after surgery and weight loss.  Talk to your doctor who can help with a diet to manage it.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

SkinnyBonz38
on 8/18/15 1:20 pm

This is me too Willie H.! I get that awful sensation and feeling of too much coffee jitteries, and at night it's the worst I can't sleep and it feels like waves of jittery flowing through my body. I have to drag myself out of bed, eat half a banana or half a protein bar and go back to sleep! Only then can I sleep. And I don't bother to rinse or brush I'm too sleepy after tossing and turning all night.  

So this past Saturday I was shopping with my $4 off Premiere coupons. My NUT had given me four and they expired that very day. But there were too many people in Walmart and so I tried rushing and walking faster through the aisles. Before long I was feeling waves of dizziness and light headedness. The lighting seemed brighter and the aisles took on a shift.

I am also extremely anemic and the two makes me feel miserable. I questioned weather after surgery would things be better or worst, and now with you experiencing this after surgery and you don't even get periods, I wonder how I will fare. One thing that helps is keeping protein bars with me everywhere I go. I better call my doc.  

rocky513
on 8/18/15 1:27 pm - WI

The banana has too much sugar in it.  It would cause blood sugar spike and another crash with me.  Some protein bars are high in sugar too.  Check the label.  The remedy for an RH episode is a small carb with a protein and a "good fat".  Peanut butter on a cracker is what I use.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

rocky513
on 8/18/15 1:23 pm - WI

Reactive Hypoglycemia is a common problem after WLS.  It can usually be controlled by eating very small, low carb, high protein meals about very 3 to 4 hours.  This keeps your blood sugars level.  Excessive exercise can bring on an episode.  I usually grab a cracker with peanut butter on it to help with the symptoms.  

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Willie H.
on 8/18/15 1:39 pm
VSG on 08/26/14

Thanks. I'll try the PB on a cracker or pretzel?

Vertical Gastric Sleeve-(8/26/14)HW 347lbs SW-328lbs CW-247 lbs  GW-212lbs Randolph,                                                                                       "LOVE" is knowing someone has the power to hurt you, yet TRUST that they won't"  "Sing like no one's listening and dance like no one's watching!!"

Grim_Traveller
on 8/18/15 2:19 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Have you checked you're blood sugar with a meter? It could be low blood sugar. But it could also be dehydration, or orthostatic hypotension, a kind of low blood pressure. The symptoms all roughly match your description.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/19/15 4:35 am

Hypoglycemia and RH reactive hypoglycemia are 2 different things. 

I have them both. RH is caused by eating too many carbs /sugars and body reacting by making too much insulin. 

The hypoglycemia - can happen even if we eat proper foods - but have other issues that causes that. It can be anything including adrenal insufficiency, insulinoma, ..or other metabolic issues... 

As Grim mentioned - your symptoms can also be caused by low blood pressure - complete diferent issues. issues. 

Btw- my hypoglycemia and low blood pressure/with orthostatic hypotension  was caused by adrenal insufficiency.  Taking meds helps with my hypoglycemia, but does not prevents RH. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1452 views