Insurance disappointment

Modest_Phoenix
on 8/22/15 10:22 am

Hi,

I haven't been an active poster here for a variety of reasons  but I do visit fairly often.  This time I have a complaint and am looking for advice from people who have faced the same or a similar insurance experience.

Long story, short, is that I had to switch insurances from one that accepted the VSG to one that doesn't.  The new insurance accepts RNY and DS.  I had my heart set on VSG, it was the only surgery that has ever held any possibilities for me as a viable option because I didn't want to re-route my intestines nor do I want any problems with malabsorbtion.  I'm so disappointed. Dumping scares the hell out of me. 

Did you have to switch surgeries because of insurance?  What was your experience? 

Highest weight 208 in 2008 ** VSG 11/27/15 weight 193 ** Current weight 128 ** Goal weight range 100 -110 ** Height - 4'11" ** Age - 49

CerealKiller Kat71
on 8/22/15 11:16 am
RNY on 12/31/13

Are you absolutely sure that the insurance only covers RNY and DS?  I ask this because of all the surgeries, the DS is the one least likely to be covered -- and frankly, the VSG is really half of the DS and is cheaper and less involved -- so it's funny they'd cover the DS and not the VSG.

Did you actually read that in your policy, talk to someone, get told this by your surgeon  -- because if you talked to someone or just heard from your surgeon's office, I'd check again and get it in writing.  Perhaps they gave you wrong information -- and that would solve your problem!

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Modest_Phoenix
on 8/22/15 4:46 am, edited 8/22/15 4:49 am

The insurance paperwork specifically says it will cover bariatric surgery and then lists the procedures it won't cover.  RNY and DS wasn't on the list.  VSG and the band surgeries were on the list of non-covered procedures.  That leads me to believe RNY and DS are covered, but I haven't spoken to anyone at the insurance company to confirm this.  Honestly, I just got the paperwork yesterday afternoon, so I haven't made any phone calls to the insurance company yet or spoken to my surgeon.  The insurance company is Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona, the silver plan purchased through the Marketplace since I don't have insurance through work.  

Highest weight 208 in 2008 ** VSG 11/27/15 weight 193 ** Current weight 128 ** Goal weight range 100 -110 ** Height - 4'11" ** Age - 49

CerealKiller Kat71
on 8/22/15 11:52 am
RNY on 12/31/13

That's really a shame.  I hope you can work it out.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Gwen M.
on 8/22/15 12:08 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

I'd definitely save the worry/pani****il you can call and get better information!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Modest_Phoenix
on 8/22/15 6:25 pm

Yes, you're right.  I will call on Monday.  Their customer service hours are regular business hours Monday through Friday so I can't get any confirmation or more information over the weekend.

Karen M.
on 8/22/15 1:39 pm - Mississauga, Canada

Without knowing for sure, I would be highly surprised if they covered the DS and not a VSG since the VSG is often the first step in a two-part DS. Having said that, I agree with other posters - I think the best way to know for sure is to call them to find out the specifics of your individual insurance plan coverage.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 8/22/15 12:16 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

So sorry that your insurance won't cover the VSG. R U sure that you don't want to try the DS?, you'll still have a sleeved stomach, maybe down the road you can revise to the VSG if the DS didn't work out? I'm not sure you can work your way back the other way.

I heard only a small amount of people dump, but i can understand not wanting to take the chance.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Karen M.
on 8/22/15 1:36 pm - Mississauga, Canada

I've never heard of anyone revising their DS to just the VSG/sleeve portion, ever. Usually it's the other way around - sleeve first, then the switch added.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Kathyjs
on 8/22/15 6:00 pm

I had RNY almost 13 years ago and never ever regretted. You don't die from dumping, just wish :-) for ME I need the mental reminder to watch what I eat. I have only dumped a hand full of times, and I deserved it. I hope things work out for you though

Most Active