Gallbladder or liver pain???

HoosierRN
on 8/26/15 1:44 pm

Just 4 weeks out and have had right upper quad pain for most of that time. Saw my surgeon last Thursday and he said it is not my gallbladder since my Preop GBUS showed no stones; so the tenderness has to be my liver....it's stressed and overworked from trying to metabolize all the fat....

However, today I've had entire abdominal pain and radiating to my back-bad enough I couldn't bend without catching my breath....

Anyone else been told they had liver pain? And were the symptoms similar to mine?? Thanks

Becky

hollykim
on 8/26/15 7:14 am, edited 8/26/15 7:14 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On August 26, 2015 at 1:44 PM Pacific Time, HoosierRN wrote:

Just 4 weeks out and have had right upper quad pain for most of that time. Saw my surgeon last Thursday and he said it is not my gallbladder since my Preop GBUS showed no stones; so the tenderness has to be my liver....it's stressed and overworked from trying to metabolize all the fat....

However, today I've had entire abdominal pain and radiating to my back-bad enough I couldn't bend without catching my breath....

Anyone else been told they had liver pain? And were the symptoms similar to mine?? Thanks

you could have developed stones since pre op when you had the scan. More than one post op has developed gallbladder trouble soon after WLS. 

You pain is classic for gallbladder and I,personally,would insist on another scan ot check,before you end up in emergency surgery some middle of the night.

Lisa09
on 8/26/15 3:18 pm - NH

Those symptoms sound like what I had with a gallbladder attack. I'd call your surgeon again or go to ER if pain is bad.  Let us know how you make out. 

HW: 280 SW: 270. CW: 190. Goal: 140

Lap Band: 10/2007 Insurance Approval: 10/19/15 Revision to RNY: 11/2/15

Preop -10 M1 -26  M2 -19  M3 -10  M4 -11  M5 -3  M5  -4  M6 .. Too tired to do the math, but slow

HoosierRN
on 8/26/15 4:58 pm

Do you end up having to have your gallbladder removed? Or did it cool down? So upset, don't have time to be off work and down again at home😁

Becky

Lisa09
on 8/26/15 5:08 pm - NH

Becky,

Sorry to say that I had to have it out. The first few times it happened, I rode it out. Then, it became an emergency room trip in agony and an admission to remove it right away. They said if I hadn't ignored the earlier attacks, they may have been able to put me on a medicine to avoid the emergency surgery (but this was all pre WLS....)  Hopefully, it's not that for you.

Lisa

HW: 280 SW: 270. CW: 190. Goal: 140

Lap Band: 10/2007 Insurance Approval: 10/19/15 Revision to RNY: 11/2/15

Preop -10 M1 -26  M2 -19  M3 -10  M4 -11  M5 -3  M5  -4  M6 .. Too tired to do the math, but slow

Valerie G.
on 8/26/15 9:26 pm, edited 8/26/15 9:26 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

It's not something that gets better, so yeah, you're looking at more downtime.  Unfortunately this occurs quite often, despite those using Actigall meds that are supposed to prevent gallbladder problems.  I'm thankful that my surgeon was proactive about this trend, and she removed my gallbladder when I had my wls.

Be insistent about this!  Tell him he's not allowed to blow you off until tests are conclusive with gallbladder as yes or no.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

crystal M.
on 8/26/15 4:47 pm - Joliet, IL

That was my pain exactly when I had my gallbladder pain.  Even radiated to my back....like being stabbed.    When it got really bad I had lots of nausea

Maria27
on 8/26/15 5:45 pm - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

I had similar pain, and I was convinced it was my gallbladder. But two ultrasounds said otherwise. The only finding was an enlarged liver. The pain mostly faded by week six, and it hasn't come back. 

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

HoosierRN
on 8/26/15 7:13 pm

That's what my surgeon insists!!! Very frustrating because it's causing me to not get all my protein and liquids in...and my weight loss is stalled😒 Did you have this problem when this occurred? So glad to find someone with similar symptoms, didn't realize the liver could cause so much annoyance after VSG.

Becky

Maria27
on 8/27/15 6:35 am - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

I guess I only felt like it kept me from exercising. I did feel as though my weight loss was slow at first, but I have consistently lost an average of 3 pounds per week. I was already having liver problems before surgery so I think the surgery irritated my liver and caused the pain to flare up. 

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1424 views