Is anyone here 18-25 that had the gastric/lap band?

Fuffypuff
on 8/28/15 11:04 pm

I have been a big girl every since elementary school. I come from a family of plus size women, so I never really excepted much to change. Now I'm 22 and my doctor recommended the lap band surgery. I've looked up all the pros and cons and YouTube videos I could find but I'd rather talk to someone around my age that has or had it. I know I have to ultimately make the choice myself, but I'd like to know your experance with it, even if your older and have any advice that would help. 

Kathy S.
on 8/29/15 11:03 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi Fuffypuff,

Welcome to OH.  If you have not do so, try posting this on the LAP-BAND Forum and Weight Loss Surgery In Your 20s forum.  If you need any further assistance, let us know at [email protected]  

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Fuffypuff
on 8/29/15 11:36 am

Thanks and I will.

MsBatt
on 8/29/15 11:30 am

Honey, the LapBand is being taken out faster than it's being put in, these days. It is NOT a lifetime solution---it has a maximum liffetime of ten years, IF it lasts that long. Save yourself a lot of heartbreak, misery, and possible permanent damage. Take a good look at the other forms of WLS instead.

If you seriously think simply eating less is all you need, look at the VSG/Sleeve. Since you come from a family of larger women, you should also look into the surgeries that help change your metabolism, like the RNY/gastric bypass and the DS/duodenal switch.

Fuffypuff
on 8/29/15 11:40 am

Thanks for the advice. Since I'm 22 my doctor wanted me to get the band because it's removable. I'm going to get a second opinion and I'll look into the other surgeries you mentioned. Thanks.

MsBatt
on 8/29/15 7:22 pm

I suspect your doctor's not very up to date on bariatric surgeries, then. The Band is removable, but it can cause horrible damage to your stomach while it's in there. In other words, you can take it out, but YOU may never be the same.

No matter which form of WLs you choose, it WILL change you forever. Take all the time you need to fully understand all your options, and choose something you're confident you can live with for the rest of your life.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 8/30/15 11:59 am
RNY on 12/31/13
On August 29, 2015 at 7:22 PM Pacific Time, MsBatt wrote:

I suspect your doctor's not very up to date on bariatric surgeries, then. The Band is removable, but it can cause horrible damage to your stomach while it's in there. In other words, you can take it out, but YOU may never be the same.

No matter which form of WLs you choose, it WILL change you forever. Take all the time you need to fully understand all your options, and choose something you're confident you can live with for the rest of your life.

THIS.  

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

(deactivated member)
on 8/30/15 11:31 pm

I got the lap band 10 years ago because I was afraid of something "permanent". I was 31 at the time.  Well technically the band IS removable, but the damage is forever.  I had it removed in 2011 because it slipped out of place.  When they went in it had eroded all the way into the inside of my stomach.  It was scary to see the pictures of the inside of my stomach, it was black, pus and you could see the band from the inside.  The only symptom I had was heartburn.  My doctor said that he could not believe I was not septic and that I could have died from how bad it was.  I have since revised to a sleeve and it is night and day.  A "permanent" surgery sounds scary, but if we only needed a temporary fix, a quick diet would be all we need.  Only you can decide when you are ready to have something like this done.  10 years ago I would not have been ready.  Keep educating yourself and find a doctor that does other surgeries, so that you are not being pushed to a certain one because that is all he is comfortable with. 

Felicity Q.
on 8/29/15 1:08 pm
DS on 09/28/15

Hi Fuffypuff,

I had my lap-band surgery when I was 28, (in 2011) thinking that it was perfect for me because I wanted to have kids (and could have the band unfilled for pregnancy) and avoid having my digestive system cut up at a younger age.  I wish I hadn't.  I'm back 4 years later after having lost only 40lb and am looking to revise the surgery to a Gastric Bypass (RNY).  I thought I did enough research beforehand on the Lap-Band... and what I could find on the internet was mostly success stories! 

Check out the ASMBS Website to look at the surgery options and compare for yourself.  The Lap-Band has the HIGHEST rate of re-operation.  Additionally, even successful Lap-Band patients lose only about 20% of their excess weight after 1 year (compared to 40% for RNY or 30% for VSG)-Source.

Was it your Primary Care doctor *****commended the lap band surgery? Have you seen a surgeon yet?  Perhaps your PCP is not well-versed in the different types of WLS available, and is only suggesting the one he or she is familiar with?  I would definitely read as much as you can online, but keep in mind that nothing can compare to a consult with a surgeon. Many bariatric surgeon offices offer a free seminar that discusses the types of surgery and have a Q&A... or a 1on1 consult with a surgeon so they may make a recommendation.

Lap-Band 2011 | DS Revision 9/28/15 | HW: 380 in 2011 | GW: 140

Blog: http://felicitywls.blogspot.com/ | Twitter: @FelicityQ13

Fuffypuff
on 8/29/15 2:00 pm

Yes it was my primary doctor who suggested it but he set me up with a surgeon *****commended the lap band. I tried to get him to understand that I don't want kids but he kept insisting. I'm going to get a second opinion and look into some other options. Thank you.

Most Active