Can't drink protein shakes

Stacelynnn
on 8/26/15 1:05 pm

I am currently on my 2 week pre op liquid diet.  I thought I caught a stomach bug, but turns out I can't drink the protein shakes.  The smell alone of the pre made and the powder makes me ill, and after drinking I vomit. (Even the unflavored). I need this surgery, what can I do?  I am scared about what to do after surgery.

Willie H.
on 8/26/15 1:56 pm
VSG on 08/26/14

The simple solution is just don't drink the shakes! There are other options. Also after the surgery, your taste buds does change somewhat so you may not still have that problem. All in all, don't let this stop you from having the surgery. Hey, don't fret on things that haven't happened yet. Wish you well!

Vertical Gastric Sleeve-(8/26/14)HW 347lbs SW-328lbs CW-247 lbs  GW-212lbs Randolph,                                                                                       "LOVE" is knowing someone has the power to hurt you, yet TRUST that they won't"  "Sing like no one's listening and dance like no one's watching!!"

hollykim
on 8/26/15 2:17 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On August 26, 2015 at 1:56 PM Pacific Time, Willie H. wrote:

The simple solution is just don't drink the shakes! There are other options. Also after the surgery, your taste buds does change somewhat so you may not still have that problem. All in all, don't let this stop you from having the surgery. Hey, don't fret on things that haven't happened yet. Wish you well!

she is pre op and the shakes re her pre op diet. How can she just not drink them?

Felicity Q.
on 8/26/15 2:03 pm
DS on 09/28/15

Hi Stacelynn,

Have you tried different brands? For me personally, Isopure made me gag and/or throw up, but others did not. Perhaps visit a local vitamin shop and get a few small samples to see if there is one you can tolerate? And don't throw away your current powder- you may like it again after surgery down the line.

Lap-Band 2011 | DS Revision 9/28/15 | HW: 380 in 2011 | GW: 140

Blog: http://felicitywls.blogspot.com/ | Twitter: @FelicityQ13

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 8/26/15 2:27 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Agreed. I had a really hard time with some, but I can handle Syntrax, Isopure, and Pure Protein.

I also got a shaker bottle that had a teeny sipping hole that I could put a straw in. Not having to smell the shake helped a lot, I was surprised!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Hislady
on 8/26/15 5:46 pm - Vancouver, WA

I was going to suggest the bottle also because it was surprising what I could drink when I didn't have to smell it!

Modest_Phoenix
on 8/28/15 7:44 pm

That's a really good idea! Sometimes we just have to trick our senses.   I drink my green smoothies from a cup I can't see through because I can't stand the sight of them. 

Highest weight 208 in 2008 ** VSG 11/27/15 weight 193 ** Current weight 128 ** Goal weight range 100 -110 ** Height - 4'11" ** Age - 49

(deactivated member)
on 8/26/15 2:14 pm

I have to say I would try new shakes call your doctors office. We had to buy shakes from my doctor I ended up allergic to them. So I had to find another brand. 

Call the doctors office. 

rocky513
on 8/26/15 2:32 pm - WI

Go online and order a bunch of samples.  Then you can find one that you will tolerate before you spend a fortune on a big tub.  Be aware that your tastes will change drastically after surgery.  If you find a shake you like now, you may hate it after surgery,

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

kathkeb
on 8/26/15 3:48 pm

As others have said, try different types -- there are a bunch out there.

You might also try to drink from a covered 'sippy' type of cup so you don't smell it as much -- or use a straw and just slam it down

I always found 'the colder the better' --- and when I had to use pre-made shakes, I added them to a cup with ice, covered the top and shook it up really good to make it really, really cold --- then, strain off the ice and suck down the shake as fast as I could --- then quickly go brush my teeth to get the shake aftertaste out of my mouth.

It was really the beginning of me getting into the 'food is fuel' mindset --- it was purely for nourishment and not enjoyment --- so I found other ways to be nice to myself (extra hobby time, long baths, early bed time, etc.) during this time.

Kath

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1366 views