Weight gain 2 days after surgury

Michele7
on 8/29/15 9:32 am

So I had vsg (sleeve) on Wed Aug 26. Today is sat and I've gained 2 pounds . did anyone experience weight gain after surgury ?

White Dove
on 8/29/15 9:52 am - Warren, OH

I gained 19 pounds. When I complained to my surgeon he laughed and told me to go home and pee it out.

I was weighed as soon as I got out of bed for my first walk after surgery.  I bet you weighed more two days ago.  They pump you full of water to do the surgery.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Nancy
on 8/30/15 2:44 pm - Kasson, MN

You will have a lot of swelling and water retention the first few days after surgery!  They don't give u to many fuilds during surgery.  When they do weight loss surgery they try and give u less so that your intestines are resting more.  Before I had my surgery, I got to watch the RNY open be done on a lady!  I sat with her through her whole surgery until.  I was a nursing student at the time.  It also depends on if you did everything your doctor said prior to surgery.  Your liver shrinks when you go on the lighter diet, if you did not do that it can cause more inflammation because they had to work around it.  It was pretty fascinating watching it live before I had it and really understood it!

Michele7
on 8/31/15 4:08 pm

Wow that's great you got to watch it. 

Nancy
on 8/31/15 4:35 pm - Kasson, MN

I got a really got a really good understanding of it after!  If I had to do it again it would have been open instead of laporscopic.  Doctors can see better what they are doing!

Incognito55
on 8/29/15 10:13 am - Toronto, Canada

My surgeon told me not to weigh myself until at least a week after surgery. He said I would be up at least 10lbs due to all the IV fluids they use to keep you hydrated.

Referral-October 2014Orientation (TWH)&Social Worker-January 2015Nutrition Class February 2015Nurse&Psych April 2015Dietician May 2015Surgeon June 2015Surgery August 11 2015 at TWH with Dr Jackson

alma_olson
on 8/29/15 4:09 pm
RNY on 08/18/15

I started the morning of surgery at 230.  before I went home 2 days later I was 238.  My surgeon laughed at me too and told me to stay off the scale for one month (of course I haven't). 10days later I am 215.  All IV fluids in the hospital.

Valerie G.
on 8/31/15 8:23 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Sadly, they didn't even warn you about pumping you full of fluids during surgery and recovery...you know....that IV bag.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active