Understanding Scarring With Plastic Surgery

Kathy S.
on 8/29/15 11:00 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Understanding Scarring With Plastic Surgery

Nearly 100 million people acquire new scars every year in the developed world alone, primarily as a result of elective operations. Scars vary greatly, depending on several factors, individual and racial patient features, type of skin, location of incisions, and skin subject to tremendous tension for... Read Full Story

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/29/15 5:26 pm - OH

Personally, I find it very odd for a plastic surgeon to place brachioplasty (arm lift) incisions on the back of the arm so it is readily visible to anyone behind you, when the incision scars can almost be completely hidden (unless you have your arms up in the air!) in the natural valley between the muscles on the inside of the arm!

I would NEVER let a plastic surgeon do that.  I have met people with such scars, and they have been surprised (and one of them was very upset, since she didn't know any other incision placement was possible) that MY scars are almost completely hidden.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Laura in Texas
on 8/30/15 9:49 am

I agree!! I feel so badly for people when I am walking behind them and can see their brachioplasty scars. Mine are also on the inside and cannot be seen from behind.

My scars are not the best but no one has ever mentioned them in the 6 years since my surgery and I teach teenagers who have no filters so they must not have ever noticed them 

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Most Active