Brachioplasty (arm lift) Anyone?

Starface
on 8/31/15 3:09 pm - Burbank, CA

I'm set to have my first (and likely only) post weight loss body enhancement surgery.

I'm very nervous because I am so sensitive to pain meds that whenever I take them I quickly develop a physical (not mental or emotional) dependency to them and suffer TERRIBLE withdrawals from them.  Last time I took them, it took me five months to get over it and I STILL feel some of the symptoms.  So I am worried about the pain from this surgery and whether or not I will be able to manage it with little to no pain meds.  I have heard some say it is a very painful procedure and some say it is fairly mild.  I have a somewhat low pain threshold so I am very nervous.  Anybody willing to share their experience?  I would appreciate it so much!

kathkeb
on 8/31/15 4:02 pm

I had brachio and a breast lift at the same time.  Surgery was on a Thursday afternoon -- outpatient in a full surgical facility with anesthesia and nursing care.

I got home that evening --- and slept.  I went back to the doctor's office the next afternoon for a wound check --- and was released to go home and shower.  (my husband drove me).

I have a sensitivity to pain meds (light itching) --- so  my surgeon suggested that I stay on the low-end of the dosage and supplement with Benadryl ----- so, when the RX said '1-2 tablets every 4-6 hours' -- I took 1 pain pill with 1 Benadryl every 6 hours or so ----

The Benadryl helped me sleep and made the pain meds last longer.

I took the pain meds for about 3 days (Friday - Sunday) and then not at all during the day.  Just 1 at night to sleep.

I took that full week off of work, but was driving myself by the Tuesday afterwards (off pain meds during the day).

My pain was very tolerable --- I was swollen by the end of the day, and ice packs helped.

I placed all essential items at 'counter height' so I didn't have to reach up for things --- but normal activity was uneventful ---

My surgery was in November, so wearing long sleeves was really easy -- I had some close fitting long-sleeved t-shirts, and I would clean the area, then place an ABD pad, wrap it lightly with gauge and then put on my long-sleeved shirt --- so it was well protected.

You should have an in-depth discussion with your surgeon about your pain management.  Explain your concerns and ask for advice from the expert.

Kath

Nic M
on 8/31/15 4:33 pm

Brachioplasty was the least painful surgery I ever had. And I fully expected it to be really ouchy. But it wasn't. Just inconvenient for awhile. I could have easily managed the pain with just Tylenol.

Good luck to you!

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

NYMom222
on 8/31/15 6:32 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I think adding Benadryl is a great idea. Pretty safe as far as meds go, and if you are sleeping you are not feeling the pain, esp. the first couple of days.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

(deactivated member)
on 9/1/15 9:33 am
RNY on 05/04/15

Please let us know how it goes! There are a few procedures I'd like to get, but a brachioplasty is the only one I think I'll truly need. I can't find clothes anymore because ones that fit my body don't fit my excess arm skin. I'm not going forward anytime soon (I have another 30-50 lbs to lose), but I've started researching and talked with the coordinator at a surgeon's office yesterday.

siberiancat
on 9/1/15 12:32 pm - COLUMBIA CITY, IN

You should cross post this on the plastic surgery board.  You may get more comments & suggestions.

I had the brachioplasty done at the same time as fleur de lis abdominoplasty - so I can't really comment.  I was in considerable pain for days but had the 2 procedures done at the same time and stayed one overnight at the hospital.

Best wishes.

Penny

Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

Kathy S.
on 9/1/15 1:36 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

As the last member said be sure and post this on the Plastic Surgery Forum

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/1/15 3:39 pm - OH

My brachioplasty was fairly painful, but my incisions went from just above my elbow, up through my armpits, and then down along the outside of my breasts (to get rid of the fat flap where the bra band would be).  My actual arms didn't hurt all that much after the first few days, but my armpits hurt like hell, and reaching up above my head was quite painful for a number of weeks.  

I ended up having to give up the compression garment in favor of just keeping my arms wrapped with the Ace bandages the surgeon used after surgery because the seam in the armpit of the garment was rubbing my incision raw and made part of it open up. If you can keep the swelling down, that will keep the pain down.

If it had not been for the armpit issues, it probably wouldn't have been too bad. After all, there is no muscle cutting involved, just skin.  (My panniculectomy surgery, which is also skin only, was very easy with almost no pain except at the end points that got pulled when I bent down or stretched, so I think the arms would have been more like that without the armpits done).

Perhaps a pain med like Tramadol, which isn't an opiate, would work better for you...?  The incidence of dependence (either physical or psychological) is pretty low. 

Good luck!

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1363 views