Putting down compulsive overeating ..was your WLS the solution or the start of your recovery?

(deactivated member)
on 9/1/15 4:44 am

I had a proximal RNY/hiatal hernia surgery  5 years ago that finally enabled me to stop taking the extra bites .  I was self medicating internal physical pain it turns out caused by a giant congenital deformity-a portion of my stomach had slipped into my esophagus.  Untreated the condition would have eventually caused cancer and constantly eating to dull the pain made me wear 60-80 lbs more despite exercise and twelve step groups for many years.  

In my case only WLS made me finally stop binging.  I dropped most of the excess weight the first six months and have had no trouble thank God with regain.Of course I exercise and eat with self discipline still .  Interestingly I picked up alcohol post op and about a year ago put that down too .  Now I am finally attending al-anon for the alcohol related family issues and sell-neglect that made me deprive myself except for excess food.  I really am seeing myself make better choices and try new scary things rather than making and excusing the same old mistakes.  My life is unbelievably better since surgery ... and I really believe surgery was the key and necessary ingredient to open the door to lasting recovery and a brave new life .  What was your experience?

Kathy S.
on 9/1/15 7:31 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1370 views