GRAZING... HELP!!!

Melischa
on 9/26/15 9:43 pm - Canada

Hi there, I'm 4 months post op, lost 76.5 pounds so far, been doing really well, but now that my pouch has healed and only some foods aren't tolerated but omg I am grazing....  I'm trying not to, but to be honest if the food or junk is out I eat it as I pass by, I've seen my behaviourist, does anyone have any tips or hints??  I know to try to overpower myself but wow, I understand when you have a "craving" give in a little bit so you are satisfied, but this grazing is driving me mad, I've tried to tell my family to hide it and all that I need to work on myself and not give in so easily...  it's just a bad habit I need to break big time or it will have negative effects in the future because I'm still new from surgery and still losing but I stall every 10 pounds or so I've actually been stalled for 2 weeks now I thought I had a breakthrough yesterday but the 3 pounds were back haunting me yet again.. yes I am a constant weigher I tried putting the scale away but that's me and keeps me in check that's for sure, tells me whether I'm getting in enough water and such meaning I know I'm doing what I'm supposed to if the scale is staying within range... 

NYMom222
on 9/26/15 10:09 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Not having stuff in the house is the best strategy. Many times I wish something was there but it isn't...so I can't eat it. If your family wants certain things in the house put it in a closet or something, out of sight out of mind.

I am an everyday weigher but I only write down my weight once a week on Wednesdays, (the day I had surgery) and once a month on the 23rd (the day of the month I had surgery.) It helps me see trends that I might not see if I just focus on the up and down of day to day. I am OK with weighing every day, just can't let it drive you crazy.

Do you make a plan for your food for the day? That might help you stick to it. I often go on the post "What are you eating today RNYers?" and post a menu. Even if I don't keep the menu exactly, it helps me plan my day and think about where I am going and what I have available. I find figuring out a routine helps.

Make sure you have a drink available at all times, and it doesn't have to be jus****er. If you need something with flavor have ice tea, ice coffee, crystal light... whatever it takes.

Realize some days you will just be hungrier. I don't know why. I call them big pouch and little pouch days.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Grim_Traveller
on 9/27/15 7:41 am
RNY on 08/21/12

This is exactly how I recorded my weights. If you haven't already, check out Trendweight. It's a website that will import weights from other sites, or let you input them direct. It gives you cool graphs, and projects future weight loss from your history, will give you dates when you can expect to reach goals, etc.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

seattledeb
on 9/26/15 11:36 pm

This is your window for the easiest and fastest weight loss you ever will have in your life.

This is it.

Go to therapy.

Get the food outta sight 

Figure out what you are going to eat and then follow that plan

Eat dense protein and don't drink after 

This surgery with all that goes with it is for life. Please don't waste this very precious rapid weight loss time

Post what your eating

Deb T

MickeyDee
on 9/27/15 12:19 am

Drink more water.  Your body learned a long time ago that you'll ignore "thirst" where you won't ignore "hunger".

And yes, hide the scale.  It'll be easier to ignore the stalls.

White Dove
on 9/27/15 2:21 am - Warren, OH

This is how I handled it.  I decided from the beginning that the junk food could stay and I was the one who had to not eat it.  But I had my own "junk" foods. 

I ordered protein bars, protein pretzels, and protein chips by the cartons.  I made my own cakes, muffins, brownies, cookies and ice creams.  Everything was high protein, low carb, and sugar-free.  I found candy bars that I actually like and don't cause gas and diarrhea.  I order chocolate from Maine Cottage Foods

I eat six small meals a day.  My lunch might be a cup of beef vegetable soup, a salad with lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, and ranch dressing and a bag of Sour Cream and Onion Protein Chips

For a mid-afternoon snack a serving of chocolate protein ice cream on top of an Atkins Brownie in a Mug.

I keep a bag of Chocolate Teenies, and/or a Quest Bar in my purse.

Is this expensive?  It is very expensive.  Is it worth it to spend the time, energy and money to make your surgery successful?  I am eight years out and I am currently under my goal weight.  I am glad I made the investment in myself.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Shel25
on 9/27/15 8:14 am

I hear you on when you say grazing is just a bad habit!  Just when I feel like I got it licked (haha!) then the sight of something delicious takes my brain captive.  A few things that have helped me: 

Develop a strategy for the hardest times of days (I see lots of good advise above.)

For me, my old nemesis was evening snacking.  But, an article about time restricted eating gave me a different brain hook that helped me reframe how I thought about it.  I want to be the sleek and healthy mouse!  Here is the article (shout out to others that have linked to it in the past.  You helped me!) http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/01/15/a-12-hour-window-fo r-a-healthy-weight/?_r=0

Log EVERYTHING.  One grape, One chip, one taste, whatever.  It must be accounted for.

In my early months, one of my snacks would be a couple of pickels and a couple of olives. One day, I didn't crave it anymore and now my refrigerator has way to many pickles in it. 

There was a recent post where someone said that she tries to look thru her "crystal ball" to see how she will feel about caving in to the impulse a few minutes later.  I'm trying to incorporate this visual.

And, maybe one of the most important ones for my brain....when I want something and don't cave, I feel like it is increasing my power so next time it will be easier.  And, it truly IS easier.

Good luck to you.  It really is a matter of practicing different strategies that puts you on a different path instead of thinking that grazing is inevitable. 

HW:361 SW:304 (VSG 12/04/2014)Mo 1:-32  Mo 2:-13.5  Mo 3: -13.5  Mo 4 -9.5  Mo 5: -15  Mo 6: -15  Mo 7: -13.5  Mo 8: -17  Mo 9: -13  Mo 10: -12.5  11/3/2015 Healthy BMI Reached Mo 11: -9  Mo 12: -8    12/27/2015 Goal Weight Reached!

Karzee
on 9/27/15 8:38 am

I understand the problem of seeing the food and wanting the food. My spouse is a junk food junkie. We resolved it by him keeping the food in his office at home. I stay out of the office.

I still have not had my surgery, so I can't give much more advice.

I am really sorry to hear you are having this problem. I'll keep you in my thoughts.

Karzee

peacebypiece
on 9/27/15 9:30 am

Hi there: when I read your post this is what I wonder about. By categorizing the grazing etc. as a habit to break/get control of it puts all the emphasis on you to"break the habit/have the willpower". Absolutely, it is up to you to be successful for you but what if we reframe it and see that eating that junk/grazing is meeting a need...whether we realize it or not. Most of us got to where we are (having wls to have another tool to deal with a long term struggle) because of a combination of many things. I think we have be taught by society that we are where we are because we "just don't have the willpower" and sometimes that is true:) I don't know about you---but I have done many things over the years to lose weight that take more willpower than many humans could muster (shakes for 12 weeks straight with nothing else bu****er as an example:)). All of the suggestions offered by others help see the issue with a wider lens than just a "habit" and honour that you are a complex human being! Exploring these things in more detail with a therapist might also help (which others have also already said:)) I wish you all the best in this never-ending journey we are all on!! 

Eggface
on 9/27/15 10:42 am, edited 9/27/15 10:42 am - Sunny Southern, CA

I agree with meal planning... it's truly key... being hungry and then looking for something to fill the void without a plan usually = what I call the crap grab... grabbing any crap to fill the void without much though to cals, carbs, fats, what the overall picture of your eating day looked like. So knowing and having a plan make it easier. Highly recommend it.

Echoing water... thirst is often the issue not hunger.

Maybe you need to check in with your dietitian and see about changing your for lack of a better term feeding schedule... 3 meals and 1/2 small snacks works for me... maybe breaking up a meal into 2 would be better. Talk with them we lead different lifestyles and our activity levels are different so we aren't all going to need the same things... maybe chart when you are feeling hungry and bring a week or so worth of data with you to your next appointment... give them a visual idea of when you are having the issues with hunger (what if anything is going on, stress, feelings, boredom, etc.), how much water, how many protein grams, carbs, etc. (fitday or myfitnesspal or sparkpeople something like that, all free)

Here's a fun list to help too... I have a copy on my fridge: http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2006/11/50-th ings-to-do-instead-of-snacking.html

Best to you!! ~Shelly

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com