why am i hungry 6 days post op???

alieskia
on 9/27/15 1:50 pm

professionals tell me its not possible, so leave it up to ME, to feel hunger pangs. my stomach is growling and gurgling and im thinking about food. now what???? does this mean surgery did NOT work for me???? any one else have this experience??

White Dove
on 9/27/15 7:06 am, edited 9/27/15 7:07 am - Warren, OH

Are you taking a PPI for acid?  Acid can mimic hunger and so can dehydration.  Make sure you are drinking plenty of water and let your surgical team know about the hunger.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

alieskia
on 9/27/15 3:21 pm

maybe i have to double the omeprazole dose, ill call surgron tomorrow

clnewsome_85
on 9/27/15 3:01 pm
RNY on 10/19/15

Just because your stomach is growing does not mean your hungry! MAKE SURE YOUR DRINKING YOUR WATER! If you truely are hungry then have protein..if your not hungry for that, then you not hungry! Mind over matter! 

alieskia
on 9/27/15 3:20 pm

thanks!! i am getting almost 64 ounces water, it is mind iver matter!!! im taking an omeprazole tablet for acid reduction, naybe i need two because im getting tgat "hiccup" influx thing.

rocky513
on 9/27/15 3:26 pm - WI

Don't mistake stomach noise for hunger...it's NOT!  You just had major surgery on your stomach, it's going to make noise.  I'm 5 years out from RNY revision and my stomach STILL makes a lot of noise.  

The thinking about food is called head hunger and can be hard to distinguish from real hunger.

Follow your program to the letter and you WILL lose weight.  Don't rely on your stomach to tell you that you are hungry.  It's a damned LIAR!  You got to a point of needing WLS by listening to your stomach and your head hunger.  Measure your food out and stop eating. We need to train ourselves to be satisfied with small portions of healthy foods.  Drink your fluids, take your vitamins, get your protein in and you will be nutritionally good.

Getting the head stuff right is the hardest part of the journey.  They operate on our stomachs, not our heads.

You can do this!

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

peachpie
on 9/27/15 3:53 pm - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

What Rocky said... Plus remember, even On the off chance you are genuinely hungry, hunger is not an emergency! Drink some water, or a protein shake, have a sugar free popsicle. I'm sure it will pass, and you will survive.

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

alieskia
on 9/28/15 8:09 am

Thank u! i just needed to "hear" that!  thanks for  the pep talk

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 10/1/15 6:53 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

A stomach as a 'damned liar.'  That is a wonderful idea - thanks.

Sharon

Torrianne0206
on 9/28/15 5:01 am - Philadelphia, PA

Hello Sister in the struggle!
I too thought I was hungry post surgery it is actually NOT hunger it is the stomach healing and adjusting to the procedure you just went through. Take you pepcid or other medication they gave you for heart burn. SIP SIP SIP your water S-L-O-W-L-Y and remember this is new to your mind AND body, you will need to adjust. Do not stress yourself out about the noises it is normal.

Talk to your surgeon's office if you still need reassurance that is what they are there for.

Stay strong! Congratulations on your decision to change your life!
With love and support,

Torrianne