Gastric bypass with remaining stomach removed

Omaingermany
on 9/28/15 2:50 am

hello, new to this forum having scheduled surgery on Monday 5 October, I'm having gastric bypass with remaining stomach removed because of high number to polyps removed over the years inside my stomach and stomach cancer runs through out my family ! Has any one else had this type surgery? Could you please share with me? Thank you

Kathy S.
on 9/28/15 11:10 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi Omaingermany

If you have not done so, please post this on the Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass Surgery Forum (RNY) to reach out to those that have had the RNY.

We also did a search and found some  other posts about the same issue.  We hope this helps.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/search/action,search_oh/?q=RNY+en tire+stomach+removed&cx=000946886326336472648%3Ae-vpeg4uyxw& cof=FORID%3A9

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/29/15 2:42 am

I am pretty sure there are people who had initially VSG then revised to RNY.. They would have just the pouch and no remaining stomach... (that gets removed during VSG surgery). 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

MsBatt
on 9/30/15 2:50 am

Having your remnant stomach removed really shouldn't make your RNY experience different, except it would make revision to the DS impossible. Have you researched the Duodenal Switch? It has a Sleeved stomach plus an intestinal bypass similar to, but more effective than, that of the RNY/gastric bypass. It also has the very best long-term, maintained weight-loss stats, especially for those with a BMI greater than 50, and the best stats for resolving or preventing co-morbs like diabetes and high cholesterol. There's never a remnant stomach left behind with the Sleeve or DS.

Omaingermany
on 9/30/15 4:58 am

No, sorry new to this was told due to my gerd that sleeve bypass wouldn't be a good option so maybe the surgeon was referring to the duodenal switch my bmi isn't greater than 50 however do have high cholesterol, the removing of stomach due to polyps stomach cancer. I will read more on this . Having my surgery Monday in Lithuania. Thank you

MsBatt
on 9/30/15 9:02 am

A Sleeve and a bypass are two different things. In a Sleeve, the remove the majority of your stomach, but there's nothing bypassed. In an RNY/gastric bypass, NORMALLY none of the stomach is removed, but the majority of it is bypassed, as is a small portion of the small intestine. GERD often does become worse after a Sleeve, especially when a very small Sleeve is done.

I'm thinking the RNY/gastric bypass is definitely the right surgery for you, given your GERD and your polyps. Some people do experience a marked improvement in the cholesterol after the RNY. Good luck!

Omaingermany
on 9/30/15 11:44 am

Yes, but confused as I should have the remaining stomach removed because no way of doing scope to check inside stomach if more polyps, maybe the dr will do the Ryn and than remove the remaining stomach. Don't know guess I'm getting more and more nervous, what I know now is I'm having so bad gerd right on typing this just want it to stop!

MsBatt
on 10/4/15 12:38 pm

Oh yeah, they certain CAN remove the remnant stomach, it's just a bit more complicated re-routing of the small intestine.

Omaingermany
on 10/17/15 2:27 am

Thank you, I just completed surgery had Ryn with remaining stomach removed also had hitial hernia closed , so far ok , not really hungry, trying little bits yogurt, scrabble eggs, protein shakes, make chicken soup with just peeled potatoes and carrots, which I blend, the yummiest of course just drinking water. My back hurts bad feel super sore all over. The thing I don't understand is I just stepped on the scale and after 2wks I have lost only 2lbs ??? Crazy ? Is that normal? Just wondering!

SunnyDisposition
on 10/1/15 12:39 am, edited 10/1/15 12:39 am - PA

My understanding with my RNY is that they left my 'old stomach' (not a true term) because it continues to make enzymes that your body needs. However this would change if the unused portion of your stomach is removed. You may want to ask your surgeon about this specifically. My stomach was fully separated, not just 'stapled', but they left both parts.
Also they remove a length of intestine during a RNY that is not done with some of the other surgeries. This may not be necessary for you, but it also affects how your body absorbs certain vitamins/minerals from the food you can eat, so vitamin replacements might be necessary.