Travelling

mute
on 10/3/15 9:09 am
RNY on 03/23/15

I had RNY 6 months ago. I travel with friends about 2 or 3 times a year, it's one of my absolute favorite things to do. We're going to NYC in 2 weeks and I'm SUPER excited. I get to get on a plane 100 pounds lighter (well I better be, I'm 3 pounds away as of right now lol). I'm really excited and nervous about the plane ride to see how it is in the seat, I've visited friends since my RNY but haven't flown since it at all so I'm not totally sure about the eating/travelling thing.

I don't use powder protein because I hate the taste and it all makes me gag. At home I drink 1 protein drink for breakfast a day. Generally I haven't been having issues with eating in restaurants as long as it's not one that has only fried or only pasta options. I haven't gone out to eat much but when I have recently I've been doing pretty well with it so I think I'll be okay with the eating out part. But I'd like to travel with snacks to be on the safe side - stuff I can put in my purse so that if we're out all day I don't have to be super concerned about not being able to find something for me. I don't want to be that person who makes it a huge problem to find something specific to eat. We had a friend who was vegan but would eat ONLY specific things - like she wouldn't eat just a regular salad, she would only eat very special stuff which made traveling and eating with her the biggest pain in the ass and I don't want to be that person lol.

All that to say...travel tips! The one thing thing I'm planning on bringing is beef jerky measured out in baggies already so that I can just grab them and put them in my purse. Anything else?

Melinda

HW: 377 SW: 362 CW:131

TOTAL LOSS: 249 pounds

iloveravens
on 10/3/15 9:54 am
RNY on 08/13/14

I travel a lot.

I pack crystal light packets, jerky, nuts (sparingly), Quest bars, PB2. At restaurants I go for protein first then veggies. I stay away from rolls and no alcohol for me. If the hotel has free breakfast I love having eggs but stay away from the "continental breakfast" that is usually all carbs. Don't forget a blanket for the plane (you will freeze)!!

Other snack suggestions: laughing cow wedges & turkey pepperoni, yogurt, moon cheese, tuna packets, sonoma jacks cheese spreads, cheese sticks, PB2 & dannon lite & fit yogurts. Oh and don't forget the Miralax.

Good luck and have fun. I was just in NYC 2 weeks ago. :)

Lanie; Age: 43; Surgery Date (VSG): 8/12/14 w/complications resulting in RNY next day;

Height: 5' 6" SW: 249 Comfort Zone: 135-140 CW: 138 (10/13/17)

M1: -25 lbs M2: -12 M3: -13 M4: -7 M5: -11 M6: -10 M7: -7 M8: -7 M9: -3 M10: -8 M11: -4 M12: -4

5K PR - 24:15 (4/23/16) First 10K - 53:30 (10/18/15)

mute
on 10/3/15 11:06 am
RNY on 03/23/15

Thanks for the suggestions! For the refrigerated stuff - I have plenty of things I could snack on that are relatively portable that I do around here but between the flight and then I don't think we have a fridge in the room. I can at least check on that part. I need to check on the breakfast, we almost always stay at places with free breakfasts. I was thinking of bringing 3 protein drinks with me because I would only need 3 and I think I can get by with a carry on, I'm just super worried about them exploding in my luggage. I fly from a small-ish airport so even with carry ons I usually have to do a gate check which means they still will need to take the luggage.

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/3/15 11:25 am

Protein drinks = liquid. They will not allow you to have that in your carry on.

Cheese sticks - individually wrapped - based on my experiance- they last at least 24 hrs without a fridge. Plus a lot of conviniece stores - CVS, etc, have some type of protein shakes...

I use Epic bars - meat based protein bars. They are OK. They are like a meal for me. But I needed to get used to the taste.

The easiest food for me were fish or chicken. Grilled. I learned hard way to stay away from meats that are more proceased- like sausage, meatballs... You never know what fillers they use... Raw veggies can cause problems - gas, so typically I stocked to cooked veggies- to limit possibility of gas or food poisoning...

Bring some glucose tables or a few real hard candies - so you have something in case of low blood sugar...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

mute
on 10/3/15 12:06 pm
RNY on 03/23/15

Okay, I so knew that about the liquid in a carry on lol. It's just been a while since I traveled - I had to cancel my trips last year because I was sick.

I think I would just feel better bringing the drinks with me, even having to pay the extra to check the bag...I'm just so used to them after 6 months and I know that I'm usually not hungry after them for a few hours. The exploding thing still worries me though.

I did just check and there isn't any fridge in the room which doesn't surprise me since the room is so small in NYC so anything that needs to be in the fridge is out. The drinks I can have without them being cold even though they're better that way. I don't want to depend on a store to have the correct kind either. I've tried so many that taste horrible to me.

I find I do well with seafood or certain kinds of steak. Grilled chicken is so hard because some places are soooo dry. I can only eat very limited raw veggies, I do much better with cooked. I probably won't do any raw veggies while I'm there.

The hard candies is a good idea!

kathkeb
on 10/3/15 7:37 am

Pack a few ziplock bags so you can put a bottled drink in it, add ice at the hotel and chill it without making a mess.

You can find yogurt, cheese sticks, jerky, nuts at any convenience store ... And NYC is full of bodegas (markets) ... You won't be able to walk far without encountering one.

a slice of NY pizza, eat the toppings and cheese and you will be satisfied for hours for about 2.00.

Have fun!!!

Kath

christinerocks
on 10/3/15 3:29 pm - AZ
RNY on 04/06/15

I totally agree, I would rather be safe at this point too. Just put them in a ziplock - I do that even when I travel by train.

You'll find a lot of small corner deli/stores all over NYC. You'll find yogurt or other items to supplement your protein if you need it. And you'll have a fabulous time!

________

137 pounds lost - from a 24/26W to a size 8/10!

Patrice
(PatriceMarieV1 on...

on 10/3/15 5:02 pm
RNY on 03/11/15

I recently put premier protein in my checked luggage and was also worried that they would explode due to pressure and temperature changes in the cargo area of the plane. However, they were fine. I put about 5 or 6 in a gallon size zip-lock just to be safe in case they leaked.

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 10/3/15 7:57 pm - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

Call the hotel and see if they have a refrig in the room. Only 2 places did not - and in one I asked for it and it was delivered - just a tip no extra charge. I spent 6 weeks traveling and almost all did and it made life a lot easier. - I did not fly, but found that protein shake are readily available - I'm sure there are GNC stores in NYC to avoid the luggage explosions. I don't think cans or bottles will get through the security check.

Have a great time in the big apple. (PS Shrimp ****tail was my backup)

Sharon

christinerocks
on 10/3/15 11:27 am - AZ
RNY on 04/06/15

I travel weekly for my job. If you're checking your bag, just pack a few RTD shelf stable protein shakes - I like Premier. Another option is the GNC Lean Body brand - similar nutritionals, and usually sold at Rite Aid drug stores as well as GNC. Its a good way to start the day. Some hotel breakfasts will have hard boiled eggs, or skim milk - both of which are solid protein options and good snacks / mini-meals on the go. I usually don't eat protein bars - they seem like a gateway drug to me, LOL! But I always have one or two in my bag on a trip, in the event you're somewhere with only fried or crappy options.n They are better than nothing. And speaking of that, remember Rocky's saying: Hunger is Not an Emergency. If you're really stuck without choices, get up and walk around. Drink water. You know the drill!

Have a great time in the Big Apple!!

________

137 pounds lost - from a 24/26W to a size 8/10!