Am I a failure?

SLT718
on 10/3/15 7:44 pm

Hi everyone! I had gastric sleeve surgery on May 26, and I've lost a total of 114 pounds (just 54 since surgery). I'm creeping back into my old habits of overeating and sneaking in carbs. I'm feeling like I've failed! I think I've stretched out my pouch. Anyone have any advice? Am ia failure?

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 10/3/15 8:23 pm - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

You are down 60 pounds since surgery - you are not a failure but you have reason to be concerned. The surgery cures your stomach but not your head. Have you been going to support group meetings?

Here is an article that discusses your concern.

http://obesitycoverage.com/weight-loss-surgeries/gastric-sleeve/gastric-sleeve-will-my-stomach-stretchhttp://obesitycoverage.com/weight-loss-surgeries/gastric-sle eve/gastric-sleeve-will-my-stomach-stretch

You're about 4 months post-surgery. It may be time to check in with your surgeon. I was able to take a class called "Mindful Eating." that helped me break old habits.

I hope you get back on track. I am a few months ahead of you, but based on what others are saying, I too may (prob will) run into trouble. Here is my plan if I do. I wrote it in July, when I had lost 101 pounds from my HW.

Rules to follow during the honeymoon phase:
Weigh only 1 per week
Get 60-80gms of protein
Avoid toxic calories

I am enjoying the success of the post-surgery honeymoon phase, and will ride it as long as it lasts. All my research indicates that 2-3 years out "your body weight catches up to where your brain thinks you should be" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Yx97Ul2OV4), and my environment, activities, eating and exercise will matter more.

For Long Term or when trouble rears its ugly head:
Food Journal and Avoid toxic calories
Maintain and Exercise program - insurance against weight regain
Go to 10 support group meeting per year
Return to surgeon or Mindful Eating Program with 5 pound weight regain
Read A pound of Cure by Dr. Matt Weiner

There are many books on ebay that address WLS success.

Sharon

supershopper
on 10/3/15 8:54 pm

Good response

I also like the book- Food; a good girls drug

Talks about identifying WHY you are reaching for foods you shouldn't and how to divert your attention to something else so that you don't go down that road.

HW 305 SW 278 Surgery weight 225 GW 160 LW: 118.8

RNY 12/15/2015,

GB removal 09/2016,

Twisted bowel/hernia repair 08/2017

M1 Dec 2015-13.0, M2-7.0, M3-14.5, M4-9.4, M5-7.1, M6 9.8, M7-7.6 ,M8- 7.6, M-9 5.5, M10-6.4, M11- 2.2, M12 Dec 2016- 5.8

WereYorkie
on 10/3/15 9:42 pm
VSG on 05/11/15

You would have "failed" if you had willfully ignored the signals and continued overeating.

But you didn't... you are here asking for help.

One thing you need to stop immediately is this "winner/failure, black/white, yes/no, guilt trip, eat because you are feeling guilty, beat yourself up....and REPEAT" thing you've got going on. Do you not see that this is what you've ALWAYS done?

Recognizing that there is an issue and figuring out WHY you are doing what you are doing and creating an alternative reaction to stress, boredom, emotions in general is key to getting over this hump.

I totally agree on finding a support group and, if you can, find a therapist that specializes in bariatric patients. About now is the time that you are starting to realize that you can't run to food anymore. Now is when you learn to work through them, not go around them.

You fell off the bicycle... are you just going to lay there or are you going to get back up and get back on? The choice is yours. Don't make this about failure. Make this about learning better alternatives.

And then one day, when someone, years later, comes online and asks if they are a failure, you can tell them your experience and how you overcame it.

Highest Weight: 340 (7/2/14)  Initial Consult: 327.8 (2/24/15) Home Weigh In on Surgery Date: 291.8 (5/11/15) Today's Weight: 187.4 (5/20/16) Total So Far: 152.6 Pounds!!!!!!

"There's only us. There's only this... forget regret. Or life is yours to miss. No other road. No other way. No day but today."

Kathy S.
on 10/4/15 11:58 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

YOU ARE NOT A FAILURE, YOU ARE HUMAN

You have already taken the hardest step by saying enough is enough and now I want to get back on track. Here are some steps I hope will help you. They helped me... Also, be sure and join the Back On Track Together group link in my signature area.

Planning/Preparing

Remember when we were preparing for surgery? How many meetings, classes and such did we attend? We were told the more prepared we were the better our chances were for success. And they were right. Go through the house, car and work place and get rid of trigger foods. Stock up on foods that will keep you on track. I removed every bad carb/sugar temptation and replaced it with lots of protein, veggies, grains and fruits.

Journaling

Get back to journaling. This will help you identify when you feel like eating, stress factors and any triggers in your life. Once you identify these factors, this will help you put tools in place to keep you from eating. It became clear I was not taking time for me anymore. I worked my day job and then spent the rest of my time caring for my husband. It was easy to reach for fast, prepackaged food. Since I purged my home I have to eat clean as there are no other options LOL

Use a tool to track you're eating and exercise like Getting Started with Health Tracker. Once I started to track ever bite and drink it became clear why I had gained.

Goals/Rewards

Make a list of goals for yourself. Make them realistic and small. Some of mine were move more, purge all junk from my home, eat more protein.

Food

In general, a long term post-weight loss surgery eating plan includes foods that are high in protein, and low in fat?, calories, and sugar. Important, vitamins and minerals are provided as supplements. (if you had a different surgery adjust this to your food plan).

Water

Water is our Best Friend. I have to say I never went back to pop or any bad drinks, however I was drinking tea like crazy. What is wrong with drinking tea? I was either using sugar or 3 equals and 3 sweet n lows per 32 ounce glass. So I was either pushing to be diabetic or get cancer. I found once I started carrying a bottle of water around 24/7 (yes had one at my bedside) I lost the cravings for the sugar and I KNOW those artificial sweeteners are not good for me. Look I am old and if you add up all the artificial sweeteners I have consumed I am sure I am at the rat in the lab getting cancer threshold.

MOVE!

I can't say enough about how key this was for me. The reason I kept my weight off for almost 10 years was no matter what, I kept moving. If I could not go to the gym I would walk. I loved Zumba, bootcamp workouts, lifting weights. When I stopped, the weight started coming back. So for me I am starting slow to avoid injury by walking and using some of the workouts on my Demand TV. Find something you love to do and it won't feel like a pain in the *** to do daily.

Support

If it's an option "run" don't walk to a support group.

Keep me posted on how you are doing

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130