Quest Bars changed their formula

Grim_Traveller
on 10/12/15 8:08 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Quest has changed the formula for their bars. Instead of the fiber coming from iso-malto-oligosaccharide, it now comes from soluble corn fiber. I haven't tried any of the new formula yet. The calories appear to have increased by about 10 per bar, and the proportion of calories from fat has increased. Apparently some of the newer flavors, like Smores and Mint Chocolate Chip, has used the soluble corn fiber from the beginning, but the rest of the line has switched over as well. You can probably still find the old type in stores if you check the label.

Here is the release from Quest explaining the change:

http://blog.questnutrition.com/benefits-of-soluble-corn-fibe r/

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

lynnc99
on 10/13/15 2:29 am

Thanks for the heads up. I don't use bars very often, but original Quest is the best one by far. Their first change was the introduction of new flavors, many with sugar alcohols (which I steer away from). Now this.... I hope the old style brownie flavor stays put!

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/13/15 6:36 am

Warning about quest bars and one like them:

Some people can get BS spike while eating them. I know I do. Some of us can digest and run into sugar the so call "fiber"... Be aware of that. If you suddenly develop cravings After eating bar like that, or feel "funny", sick or get low blood sugar app 1 hour after - then use g them is probably not good idea.

Check you blood sugar (if you have the meter) 15 min - 30 min and 1 hour after eating that bar (or any protein bar) it willgive you an idea how your body reacts to the "so called fibers".

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

SkinnyScientist
on 10/13/15 9:19 am

"If you suddenly develop cravings After eating bar likIf you suddenly develop cravings After eating bar like that..."

-I am so glad you posted that. I had a "protein bar" while on the road and the next thing ya know, I am wanting Cheez it crackers and those Keebler club crackers. It was all I could think about for a about 2 days.

Now...I am suspicious!

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

TrulyPhoenix
on 10/13/15 10:26 am - Calgary, Canada

I like the new formula, the only minor downside is they don't have quite as much fibre now. I haven't noticed any increased cravings or blood sugar issues, but these don't generally affect me very much.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 10/13/15 10:40 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I have been eating Quest bars for quite a while... mostly the chocolate chip cookie dough, but I also like the pumpkin pie and mint chocolate ones (both I knew were corn fiber) --

However, especially with the pumpkin pie flavor, I have STRONG cravings afterwards. I was suspicious about the corn being a trigger for me -- and I also noticed that my blood glucose was a whopping 98 nearly 2 hours post prandial.

I am afraid if all the bars are changing to the corn fiber, I will likely have to leave Quest bars on the shelves.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Patrice
(PatriceMarieV1 on...

on 10/14/15 1:42 pm
RNY on 03/11/15

I seem to do fine with the Quest bars and try to cut them and only eat half at time.

The Premier Protein bars on the other hand are a gateway drug!!! I can't buy another Costco size box of those suckers. They are way too good and once I have one, I start thinking about when I can have another one. They also make me feel like I have had "real" sugar, whereas the Quest bars don't give me that slightly nauseous feeling.

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1133 views