Damn sugar!!!

Melischa
on 10/10/15 11:54 pm - Canada

Hi there, I was so hoping that my RNY would make me dump with sugar, it only makes me dump when I have to much of it, I can still eat chocolate and candies and I don't want to, I'm struggling majorly here, doesn't matter if I write it down or whatever, I need to stop NOW before it gets to be a huge problem, anyone else go through this at all? I'm not even hungry when I eat it, I need to find my willpower again, I need to be stronger big time, it's not a huge issue now because I'm only 5 months post op I'm still losing but if I don't kick the habit NOW and ASAP after my one year I will gain back and I don't want that to happen. I just love sweets, that's my problem, I can walk by them and say no but I don't. Guess it's time to seek my counsellor again. I see the behaviorist on Tuesday so hopefully he can help me out, I've curbed quite a lot but it's just not enough, I eat chocolate like every day and I hate myself for it. Today, I will not eat chocolate, I'm going to promise myself that... like right now.. and then I will post back here to let you know how my day went. Ugh, it was good to get this out of my head on this forum, if anyone has any insights please do tell...

thanks

White Dove
on 10/11/15 1:46 am - Warren, OH

I ate lots of sugar free chocolate pudding with protein powder added. I found recipes for Muffin in a Minute made in the microwave in one minute.

Sometimes I made a meal out of cookies that I made with protein powder, almond flour, cocoa and eggs.

i made my protein shakes into ice cream.

I bought chocolate bars from Maine Cottage Fiods.

I tracked all foods in My Fitness Pal. I never allowed real sugar or wheat flour in my treats.

i still keep a box of Quest chocolate brownie bars for chocolate emergencies

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Maria27
on 10/11/15 6:59 am - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

Most of the time I get more than enough chocolate by drinking chocolate protein shakes, eating chocolate protein bars, and eating chocolate calcium chews. I like pure protein peanut butter chocolate protein bars and bariatric advantage peanut butter chocolate calcium chews. The calcium chews are a little pricey, but they might be worth it for you if they help with your chocolate cravings. There are also lots of yogurts that have chocolate flavor. Dannon light & fit greek is my brand of choice. If that is not enough, check out theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com. Eggface has recipes for things like chocolate protein ice cream and chocolate protein muffins (I love these). There are lots of ways to satisfy your chocolate cravings without going off plan. Just keep experimenting until you find what works for you.

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

KathyA999
on 10/11/15 12:23 pm

For me sugar is physically addicting; the more I eat the more I want. So I have to stay away completely. The first few days can be tough, you just have to white-knuckle it. (I've done it a many times in my life, LOL, and a few times since surgery as well. It's as tough as quitting smoking, IMO.) I find I can do it because I know it's only hard for a few days, and then that teeth-gritting craving fades. Sometimes you just have to do it moment by moment. When it's hard, go for a walk, or take a bath, or play a video game, or... well, you get the idea. Something distracting that you enjoy doing. Even learning to meditate can help.

Good luck. This is a tough one to get past, but you can do it!

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

kathkeb
on 10/11/15 3:20 pm, edited 10/11/15 9:34 am

I will echo what Kathy said .... For me, it is addictive and the more I have, the more I want.

i have had to detox more than once.

When I do, I plan for 3-4 days of hell ... I know I will have cravings and probably headaches.

i start on a Thursday afternoon, and tough it out over the weekend when I can nap, or shop, or knit, or watch sports ... Anything to distract myself.

I stock up on nuts and cheeses that I love .. And substitute those for the sweet stuff for a few days. I take a long, hot bath in the evening.

I brush and floss several times a day ... Those things help

Kath

Mathew M.
on 10/11/15 3:51 pm

I'm a sleeve so dumping is not an issue. But dealing with sweets and chocolates is. For me, I just dont start. Seriously. If I have sugar I just want more. If I dont have any I seem to be fine.

Stay the course.

49 years old, male.

5'11", HW:306, SW:284, CW:194.5, Goal:195lbs.VSG 6/19/15, Dr. Scott Cunneen at Cedars Sinai, Los Angeles.

SKmammabear
on 10/11/15 4:35 pm

I am SOOO right there with you! I had been doing really good for a long time (none for about a year) and now with all the Halloween candy at work.... well, need I say more! Like everyone else said, you can't just eat one! I'm not able to eat just one and I caved and had some that a vendor brought into our lunchroom... then someone put a bag of red licorice and pumpkin spice cookies in our drawer. I was able to ignore those, but then someone else put a WHOLE BAG OF HALLOWEEN CANDY in there too! I was O****il I needed something out of that drawer, then the voice inside that drawer kept saying "Let me out! I'm in here! Eat me"! I Caved! Now I can't stop!!! I'm still on the losing end of things (DS on Dec 31, 2014) and have only lost 6 pounds this month (my lowest so far). I go back to my doctor tomorrow and will have confession. I share my desk with other people (I work at an urgent care and only work 3-days a week - it's my other coworkers on my days off that put the candy in there) I WISH I had problems with eating this stuff... but I don't. I'm not hungry when they start talking to me... Yesterday was totally out of boredom... today I said "NO!! SHUT UP DRAWER!!" I even got some others to eat some so I wouldn't... but once again, I caved... Once I can finally get them out of my system, I should be able to control it again. Until then... GRRR!!!

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 10/11/15 5:03 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

I have a sweet tooth also but for me the whole no sugar thing was not something I could keep up with. So usually I find alternatives, like my caramel calcium chews, or chocolate protein shakes/bars. Sometimes I'd find something to suck on like cinnamon, my whole mouth lights up. I like the hot spice. The other times I'd eat more protein or I'd eat cheese, or drink water with crystal light or something else that's sweet.

I also try to plan for something sweet & include it in my plan if I have to have the real thing. Usually if I have to have real chocolate pudding/something else that was the real thing, I'd tell myself that I can have it, just not today, then I'd plan my meal for the next day & include the treat I was thinking about. If I can go the whole day without the treat, then great, if not, well at least I planned for it & it shouldn't take me off plan. Don't however give yourself an extra treat the following day if you didn't eat it the previous day. I go back to planing the 1 treat.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

cathy R.
on 10/11/15 7:17 pm

I had my surgery a few years ago. Until about 3 months ago I was able to eat sweets. Now I get so sicksick foamies, severe stomach migraines, nausea, stomach spasm..argggg its awful

Tish6918
on 10/11/15 10:41 pm - Seattle, WA

This is a bit unconventional, but maybe what will help most is to be armed with knowledge. Sugar is as addictive as drugs and it's toxic. I recommend you watch a couple informative documentaries on the topic such as...

-- Hungry for Change (Available on Netflix)

-- Fed Up (Available on Netflix)

-- The Truth About Sugar (HBO)

-- The Secrets of Sugar (BBC)

I suspect after you watch a couple of these documentaries, the thought of putting a lot of sugar or processed food back into your system will make you sick.

RNY on 9/17/15. High Weight: 375 / Surgery Weight: 330

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1383 views