Limited food options/Returning to work

April Parker
on 10/13/15 2:04 am - Gaffney, SC
RNY on 06/20/16

So Im just starting my 6 months WLM. I had my consultation and my first WLM appointment is 7 days away. I am worried that I won't lose any weight for my first visit because right now, money is scarce, and our food stamps ran out. (Please don't judge, I really don't need any negativity right now) I did get a job but I haven't started yet, plus that is going to make food stamps even lower, so there for a while, all I had to eat was a brick of livermush, cheese, and we did have mayo and bread, and we also had ramen noodles and 2% milk too. I'm not the one who purchases food in this house, except with food stamps. So when they buy, I have to eat what's here.

So here is my question. What are some cheap but healthier ways to have a protein rich low carb diet? I literally cannot stand wheat bread, so what are more options there? I will continue with livermush because MyFitnessPal gives it a thumbs up in moderation. (You would have to eat several bricks of it before it would be considered bad. I researched it and its highly misunderstood. It is full of protein and vitamin A.) But I dont need white bread. I dont need mayo, and I should limit cheese right?

Next question... When did you return to work post op and how did you feel? I will be on my feet in a busy retail environment and just want to know if the majority going back to work had a hard time with not having energy or feeling sick?

iloveravens
on 10/13/15 4:26 am
RNY on 08/13/14

I don't think anyone here would judge you because of food stamps, so no need to worry about that. Some cheap alternatives would be to make a big batch of homemade chili or stews. Different cheeses are usually on sale, I mix them up with turkey pepperoni (get whatever brand is on sale, they all taste the same to me). Light and Fit yogurts (at 12 grams of protein) are a great snack/meal and right now at Publix they are 10 for $10. As far as not liking wheat bread, I'm afraid no type of bread is a good choice on a low carb diet - same goes for the ramen. I returned to work after 3 weeks but probably could have gone back at 2 weeks (even with complications), but I have a desk job. I did travel at 3 weeks post op from ATL - BOS and did fine. Good luck and keep us posted.

Lanie; Age: 43; Surgery Date (VSG): 8/12/14 w/complications resulting in RNY next day;

Height: 5' 6" SW: 249 Comfort Zone: 135-140 CW: 138 (10/13/17)

M1: -25 lbs M2: -12 M3: -13 M4: -7 M5: -11 M6: -10 M7: -7 M8: -7 M9: -3 M10: -8 M11: -4 M12: -4

5K PR - 24:15 (4/23/16) First 10K - 53:30 (10/18/15)

April Parker
on 10/13/15 5:00 am - Gaffney, SC
RNY on 06/20/16

Thanks for the reply! I didnt really think anyone would say anything but you have those people on any kind of internet board who will say if you're on food stamps how do you intend to pay for this and that and... Ugh. Some people just thrive on drama. Anyhoo, I love the batch of chili idea! :) thanks!

alma_olson
on 10/13/15 5:09 am
RNY on 08/18/15

I went back to work at 3 weeks as well. A little tired at the end of the day but I was fine. I work on a college campus and walk a lot.

SkinnyScientist
on 10/13/15 9:16 am

Hey. I just want to tell you- I grew up with Salvation Army Xmas's and thanksgivings, WIC, Commodities, and food stamps too. No judgement here.

I just want you to know, "SITUATIONS CHANGE!!!!!!" They really do! Keep trying, keep working hard, keep doing the right things and it WILL GET BETTER.

When you can, grab cans of tuna and salmon and make salmon and/or tuna loaf. Call churches and see if they have a food pantry. Dont be afraid to go to the food shelf. The whole point of being in a community is that "Communities help/support each other" when the going gets tough. That is the whole point of living in community.

Tofu can be marinated in a variety of sauces (like soy sauce) to give you a tasty protein.

Eggs are wonderful too! You can make eggsalads and devil eggs and hard boiled eggs. You can put hard boiled eggs on toast with capers and a bit of dressing to change the flavor.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

April Parker
on 10/14/15 1:20 am - Gaffney, SC
RNY on 06/20/16

Oh thank you so much. It means so much to be encouraged rather than put down and feeling hopeless!

kathkeb
on 10/13/15 4:26 pm

I don't know how much control you have over the food buying, but I would go for a dozen eggs over a loaf of bread ....

You might see if there is a Market on the Move near you or a Bountiful Baskets ... You can google them. In my area they are low cost ways to get fresh fruits and veggies.

a whole chicken is cheaper than cuts .... And can make several meals.

there are some low-fat cheeses that have a good amount of protein, but they can be quite expensive, so I don't know if that will help you.

many people get through the soft-food phase on refried beans with a little cheese mixed in, those are pretty cheap compared to other proteins.

Kath

April Parker
on 10/14/15 1:21 am - Gaffney, SC
RNY on 06/20/16

Thank you! What a positive message board!

April Parker
on 10/14/15 1:24 am - Gaffney, SC
RNY on 06/20/16

Thank you! I dont plan to be in this rut long, But its sure discouraging that I run out of ways to buy foods I need when to be mindful of what I am eating, lol. But I wont give up. Especially with the support of this forum!

MsBatt
on 10/14/15 11:53 am

Does your surgeon or your insurance company specify that you MUST lose a certain amount of weight? If not, don't worry about it! Sure, eat as good a diet as you can, but don't stress yourself.

What is livermush? The name conjures up...well, it just doesn't sound appetizing. But then, I love chicken gizzards!

Most Active