Energy Drinks

Bigups2315
on 10/8/15 7:02 am

So I am on my path to surgery.which means cutting back on carbonated beverages. Which I have done, except for my morning energy drink. I drink Xyience Energy drink. It has zero calories, etc. I unfortunately cant drink coffee because it has a weird effect on me. So energy drinks are my go to for my morning pick me up. Do any of you drink an energy type drink hat isn't coffee or carbonated?

Thanks in advance for any tips!

?The seeker embarks on a journey to find what he wants and discovers, along the way, what he needs.? 
Wally Lamb

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 10/8/15 7:15 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

This drink has a very high caffeine. Caffeine is usually discouraged for post-WLS because it is a nature diuretic. You will want to check your surgeon's guidelines for caffeine. If they say no - now is the time to transition off the caffeine.

http://www.caffeineinformer.com/caffeine-content/xenergy-energy-drinkhttp://www.caffeineinformer.com/caffeine-content/xenergy-ene rgy-drink

Sharon

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/8/15 10:28 am, edited 10/8/15 3:28 am

it is myth that caffeine is diuretic.. old myth... in moderation caffeine can be beneficial.

. study..

Fluid, electrolyte, and renal indices of hydration during 11 days of controlled caffeine consumption.

Armstrong LE1, Pumerantz AC, Roti MW, Judelson DA, Watson G, Dias JC, Sokmen B, Casa DJ, Maresh CM, Lieberman H,Kellogg M.

Author information

Abstract

This investigation determined if 3 levels of controlled caffeine consumption affected fluid-electrolyte balance and renal function differently. Healthy males (mean +/- standard deviation; age, 21.6 +/- 3.3 y) consumed 3 mg caffeine . kg(-1) . d(-1). on days 1 to 6 (equilibration phase). On days 7 to 11 (treatment phase), subjects consumed either 0 mg (C0; placebo; n= 20), 3 mg (C3; n = 20), or 6 mg (C6; n = 19) caffeine . kg(-1) . d(-1) in capsules, with no other dietary caffeine intake. The following variables were unaffected (P > 0.05) by different caffeine doses on days 1, 3, 6, 9, and 11 and were within normal clinical ranges: body mass, urine osmolality, urine specific gravity, urine color, 24-h urine volume, 24-h Na+ and K+ excretion, 24-h creatinine, blood urea nitrogen, serum Na+ and K+, serum osmolality, hematocrit, and total plasma protein. Therefore, C0, C3, and C6 exhibited no evidence of hypohydration. These findings question the widely accepted notion that caffeine consumption acts chronically as a diuretic.

Fluid, electrolyte, and renal indices of hydration during 11 days of controlled caffeine consumption.

Armstrong LE1, Pumerantz AC, Roti MW, Judelson DA, Watson G, Dias JC, Sokmen B, Casa DJ, Maresh CM, Lieberman H,Kellogg M.

Author information

Abstract

This investigation determined if 3 levels of controlled caffeine consumption affected fluid-electrolyte balance and renal function differently. Healthy males (mean +/- standard deviation; age, 21.6 +/- 3.3 y) consumed 3 mg caffeine . kg(-1) . d(-1). on days 1 to 6 (equilibration phase). On days 7 to 11 (treatment phase), subjects consumed either 0 mg (C0; placebo; n= 20), 3 mg (C3; n = 20), or 6 mg (C6; n = 19) caffeine . kg(-1) . d(-1) in capsules, with no other dietary caffeine intake. The following variables were unaffected (P > 0.05) by different caffeine doses on days 1, 3, 6, 9, and 11 and were within normal clinical ranges: body mass, urine osmolality, urine specific gravity, urine color, 24-h urine volume, 24-h Na+ and K+ excretion, 24-h creatinine, blood urea nitrogen, serum Na+ and K+, serum osmolality, hematocrit, and total plasma protein. Therefore, C0, C3, and C6 exhibited no evidence of hypohydration. These findings question the widely accepted notion that caffeine consumption acts chronically as a diuretic.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 10/11/15 2:13 pm - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

I'm not a big caffeine drinker but 6mgs of caffeine that was given in the sited study is is not very much compared to about 100mgs for a cup of coffee. Not sure how valuable this study is - either way I would still check with the surgeon.

Sharon

Maria27
on 10/8/15 7:36 am - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

I drank sugar free red bull until 2 days before my surgery. It is lightly carbonated. I was so drugged up after surgery that I didn't even notice the caffeine withdrawal. I don't get why other people choose to suffer through withdrawal well in advance of surgery. I managed about 10 days without caffeine, then I started drinking hot tea because it is not acidic. Black tea is great, but I also love green tea and oolong tea. I also could not drink coffee before surgery because it upset my stomach. Great news, RNY cured that problem, and now I drink coffee every day. But if that is not the case for you, try Mio energy. It is a highly concentrated water flavoring with caffeine. You squirt it into water or whatever you want, and it has no calories. Black cherry is my favorite.

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

crystal M.
on 10/8/15 7:40 am - Joliet, IL

I am guilty of drinking a 5 Hour Energy from time to time. It's not a regular thing I do. They aren't the healthiest things to drink on a regular basis so I would say try to get away from that as much as possible. I don't drink coffee or any other caffeinated drink. I do drink tea. I also know that a walk can wake me up.

White Dove
on 10/8/15 7:45 am - Warren, OH

Before the 20th century people woke up with the sun and slept in the dark. Then electricity was invented and there was artificial light at night. Sleep is not the same and we had to have caffeine to stay alert.

I have given up caffeine because of risk of ulcers with my RNY. I also feel much calmer without it.

That being said, there is a bottle of 5 Hour Energy in my car, just in case I get in a situation like a long, boring class or meeting where my eyelids start drooping.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

(deactivated member)
on 10/8/15 8:24 am

If your Dr does not disapprove of caffeine you could open your drink the day before so the carbonation escapes before you drink it.

MsBatt
on 10/14/15 1:08 pm
On October 8, 2015 at 3:24 PM Pacific Time, PonderosaQ wrote:

If your Dr does not disapprove of caffeine you could open your drink the day before so the carbonation escapes before you drink it.

Would that not be incredibly disgusting??? There's not much worse than a carbonated beverage that's gone flat.

(deactivated member)
on 10/8/15 8:26 am
RNY on 05/04/15

I was cleared to add caffeine back at 3 months but just recently did (at 5 months) in the form of Crystal Light Energy. It has 60mg of caffeine per packet, so not huge, but it's definitely a pick-me-up for someone who was never a coffee drinker.

Most Active