Stupid "Lady Days" question - Women only, Guys......just skip this one.......

Chickenboob
on 10/9/15 5:48 am - Rockland, Canada

Ok it's not really as bad as the caption suggests...

I keep forgetting to ask at WMC

Is Midol ok to use? If not is there something else we can use?

I can see why Aunt FLo never gets invited to family reunions. LOL

Thanks!

RNY 2011/07/26 HW 338; SW 301; LW 199; Starting over weight 255; CW 212; GOAL #1 lose regain back to 199 lbs!

killinmesmalls77
on 10/9/15 6:22 am - MN
RNY on 05/07/15

I was told to stick with Tylenol by my program. Midol might be an NSAID or have caffeine. I can't remember what their exact reason was for not using it. Tylenol has been working a little bit for me, not the greatest, but I am managing. They did give me a scrip for Tramadol, but I haven't filled it yet.

HW: 276 SW: 254.1 GW: 125 CW: 154.5

White Dove
on 10/9/15 6:37 am - Warren, OH

Try a jar of progesterone cream from a health store. It will relieve the cramps and bloating. Drug companies cannot sell as a prescription because it is a natural product. You rub one dose on your forearm every night for three weeks then stop for a week to have a period.

This also works for hot flashes. After menopause you use it every day with no week off.

Google it for more information

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Chickenboob
on 10/9/15 7:52 am - Rockland, Canada

Thanks!

RNY 2011/07/26 HW 338; SW 301; LW 199; Starting over weight 255; CW 212; GOAL #1 lose regain back to 199 lbs!

CerealKiller Kat71
on 10/9/15 7:55 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I am not in menopause. Here is what works for me, but of course, I am not a doctor.

I use Midol. However, you have to be careful as there are several different kinds of Midol and some DO contain Naproxen or Ibupropen, both of which are an NSAID.

The one I use is Midol Complete. It contains Acetaminophen, caffeine and Pyrilimine Maleate (water pill) -- there's nothing that's contraindicated for RNY patients. I am allowed caffeine and it's of tremendous help during that time of month. The water pill aspect is definitely helpful to feel less bloated.

I believe the ones that are NSAIDs are Extended Relief Midol (Naproxen) and the Liquid Gels (Ibupropfen).

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

jenorama
on 10/9/15 8:24 am - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

I second the Midol Complete with acetomenifen. I use that or plain Tylenol. Since my RNY and losing 160 lbs, my periods are a lot less painful.

Jen

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 10/9/15 9:54 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I just checked their website, there are several versions (Extra Strength, Extra Strength PMS, Complete, and Teen) and none seem to have Ibuprofen or Naproxen. It's all Tylenol with caffeine, water pill, and/or diuretic.

The version called "Extended Relief" has Naproxen. That's the one to stay away from.

If you're dealing with lots of cramps, you may want to ask your GYN about birth control that can help with it. (We should be on BC anyway!) I used to have serious cramps, but they went away completely when I had my IUD put in.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Chickenboob
on 10/10/15 5:25 pm - Rockland, Canada

My doctors refused to give me the pill, told me the patch wouldn't be effective and I got pregnant on the nuva ring (miscarry) and mirena iud (non-viable ectopic). I think my uterus needs an exorcism at this point. the weight management clinic deferred to my PCP and my PCP deferred to the weight management clinic. It was just ridiculous, so after my daughter was born I was fixed. Not my choice I was pressured into it. I'll try the midol complete and see how that goes. Things are just getting more and more miserable.

Tish6918
on 10/10/15 1:48 pm - Seattle, WA

My surgeon's office stated on a number of medical forms that I couldn't use Aleve, Ibuprofen, etc. anymore.

I then told my surgeon that I often took 2-3 Aleve's for three days during the heavy/crampy portion of my period and asked, "Can I still do that?"

His response? That would be fine. He said I just can't take such pills daily or that could lead to medical problems down the road.

My advice to you would be to send a message to your doctor's office and ask them directly. It may be perfectly fine for you to take your standard cramp medicine for a few days like me.

RNY on 9/17/15. High Weight: 375 / Surgery Weight: 330

Tish6918
on 10/10/15 1:50 pm - Seattle, WA

PS. My period started the DAY I had my surgery. Talk about awkward and mortifying!

On the plus side, the lovely drugs they gave me for post-surgery pain also took care of my cramps. I didn't feel A THING.

I now recommend everyone have their period on the day of their surgery :)

RNY on 9/17/15. High Weight: 375 / Surgery Weight: 330

Most Active