Can you loose more weight then they say you can?????

steelergal
on 10/22/15 3:34 am

I am new to this group but I have a question about the weight lose my doctor wants me to have bypass rather then sleeve cause i need to loose more weight he said the sleeve wont get me to where i want to get to??????????see im afraid of the bypass cause my FATHER DIED 5 DAYS AFTER his bypass he had a blood clot WE dont know if it was from the bypass or not BUT IM SCARED ANYWAYS,,,,, my question is has anyone lost more weight then what they said you would sleeve 67percent of your weight and the bypass is 75 percent????

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 10/22/15 9:36 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Those numbers are averages only. RNY patients do tend to lose weight more quickly due to malabsorption, but that doesn't mean a VSG patient can't lose the same amount.

I have a sleeve, and lost 100% excess weight.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

steelergal
on 10/24/15 4:22 am

Thank you julie,,,,,, your right I think I want the sleeve I know I can loose the extra weight i know what i want to look like in a couple of years and i know how to get their with help....

alouisa63
on 10/22/15 9:47 am - Farmington Hills, MI
VSG on 07/30/15

Not only are those numbers only averages, they really aren't that far apart. If you have to lose 150#, 75% is 112.5 and 67% is 100.5 pounds. After being MO ALL of my adult life (and in high school) I decided the small difference in weight loss (12#) wasn't a deal breaker on getting the sleeve. I can and will work this tool to get where I want to be :)

Starting Weight 375  SW 375 Height 5'9" 

peachpie
on 10/22/15 9:50 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

Yes you can lose more weight than what the doc says you should expect with one surgery vs. another. I've seen seen all scenarios, those not losing what the 'norm' is and those who exceed it-- with either surgery.

I'm sorry about your father, but remember, you can get a blood clot from ANY surgery.

steelergal
on 10/24/15 4:26 am

Thanks peachpie your right I am worried about the RNY more then the sleeve and if im going to have a clot it will be with either surgery.....thanks for your advice.

Maria27
on 10/22/15 10:33 am - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

Please do more research so you can make a more informed opinion. Blood clots can happen with any surgery, so picking a surgery other than bypass won't likely reduce your risk. Moving around as soon and as much as possible after surgery is the best way to reduce your risk of blot clots. I'm not saying which surgery you should pick, but you need to consider more factors than this. The reason I and many other people picked RNY over the sleeve is GERD. The sleeve can greatly increase acid reflux, but RNY cures it for most people. There are other things to consider as well, so please go to the magnifying glass at the top of the page and search for RNY and sleeve.

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

randri
on 11/2/15 11:59 am

My doctor told me I would loose less weight with the sleeve but he suggested I go that route anyway because there are less complications. When I started the liquid diet two weeks before my surgery which was on 1/27/2011 I weighted 387 lbs. by the end of a yr after my surgery I weighted 250 lbs. and by the end of two years after the surgery I weighted 200 lbs.. I now weigh 175 lbs. and have for over a year. That is a loss of 202 lbs. I would hate to see how much I would have lost with the bypass LOL. I will add that I have been exercising 4 to 6 days a week cardio, boxing weight training since about 4 or 5 months after the surgery. I started with the treadmill and swimming and it was very hard to do even a little in the beginning but I stuck with it. I hope you have great results with which ever you choose.

Kathy S.
on 10/22/15 11:35 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi

We are so sorry for your loss. Blood clots can happen with any surgical procedure so don't let that be a reason to steer you away from RNY or any other WLS.

If you have not done so post this on the Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy Forum (VSG) and reach out to those that have had the VSG and Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass Surgery Forum (RNY) for RNY.

I exceeded my surgeons goal of 150 and hit 115. To stop the loss I had to increase my cals by 500 a wee****il I stopped losing. As other members stated research all your choices.

Regards,

Kathy

Member Services

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

steelergal
on 10/24/15 4:30 am

Cathy did you have the sleeve or RNY?????

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1448 views