Food Frustration

floweringgemini
on 11/2/15 1:49 pm - Rocky Point, NC

So I am starting week 3 post op. I am praying and hoping that I can go to pureed food this week. My nutritionist I guess is the one that is giving me the phases. I did eat a couple scallops over the weekend. I was able to eat 2 then I was good. No pain nothing as a side effect telling me I should not have done that. Is that normal, can my pouch still not feel so thats why it went in ok? I feel like a total screw up in the head with this. I try small bits of things that I can puree in my mouth with all the chewing and everything goes in just fine no pain no problem. Thanksgiving came up over the weekend and I threw a hissy fit. As I listened to the menu the mother in law is planning I was just like "well what about me? can we add something I will be able to eat?" Then thats when the crazy looks and laughs started. I was just like low fat low sugar and high protein. Even sent a list of ideas from other blogs and the response was "Do you really think people are going to eat this?" I sent over crab imperial, roasted butternut squash, pesto bacon wrapped shrimp as a few ideas. People in my life are really starting to make me feel violent. These were awesome recipes just not doused in butter and oil like what is the problem. Then the boyfriend and his total crappy eating is starting to really really get me down. He thinks that just because he is not overweight and has meds for his BP and Cholesterol that he can eat what he wants. I silently keep wishing the he will have a minor heart attack to show him it is not ok. IS that bad? Ugh this is very frustrating. On a plus note I am down 16lb in 2 weeks. I just needed to vent to some who may understand my current struggle.

White Dove
on 11/2/15 2:07 pm, edited 11/2/15 6:08 am - Warren, OH

My surgery was October 16. For Thanksgiving I had a one inch cube of turkey and seven kernels of corn. I was full. I don't think you are going to need any special dishes prepared for you this year. If you really want things like that, you can prepare it yourself and see if others enjoy it. Then you can start a new tradition.

Other people in your life did not have the surgery. Don't try to change their eating.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Mary Gee
on 11/2/15 2:23 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

You have to rely on yourself to be sure you have the food you need. Make up a dish for yourself to bring. Or do you have a personal blender for making shakes? You can puree some turkey and gravy for yourself. Make Shelly's Ricotta Bake from Eggface's site - it's delicious and everyone would enjoy it. Having hissy fits or wishing ill-health on people because they are not meeting your needs is not the way to handle it. We're all responsible for ourselves - you for you, me for me. Yes, it is nice when people are supportive and/or help you meet your needs; unfortunately, we just can depend on it.

Hope things improve as you get further out from your surgery. Some people suffer from hormonal ups and downs post-op. Maybe you can speak to your doctor about it. Good luck and wishing you continued success.

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

Gwen M.
on 11/2/15 3:03 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Is there anything preventing you from bringing your own dish that fits into your way of eating?

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

CerealKiller Kat71
on 11/2/15 3:59 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

I never expect anyone else in my life to eat like I do or prepare anything special. That's just me.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 11/2/15 4:07 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Good grief. You have a lot going on in your brain right now

As others have mentioned, I don't expect anyone to change their eating habits or menus to coincide with mine. There is ALWAYS something available that I can eat, usually dense protein. If they're serving turkey for Thanksgiving, that's certainly something you can eat.

Is there anything stopping you from making any of the dishes that you found yourself? That's one way I always make sure that I have something to eat at parties. My go to dish is deviled eggs.

I would never wish a heart attack on anyone. We are all on our own journeys and sometimes it takes a long time to find a way to cope with being overweight. Remember that your boyfriend is someone you love and should support, not become the food police to him. You wouldn't like it done to you, so don't go down that road with him.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

kathkeb
on 11/2/15 4:22 pm

Wow, lots of drama around 1 meal or 1 day that is still 4 weeks away.

you are going to be able to eat about 1/2 cup of food 3 times that day.

Make some plans to stay away from the food, play with the kids, watch football, address Christmas Cards, knit, whatever ...... You need a strategy to make the holidays NOT about food this year.

Kath

kathkeb
on 11/2/15 4:26 pm

Um, yeah, I think that wishing a heart attack on someone is wrong.

Are you seeing a therapist to help cope with your anger and self-described violent feelings? If not, I am sure that your surgeons office can refer you to someone who specializes in WLS patients.

Kath

Grim_Traveller
on 11/2/15 7:53 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

What happens if the boyfriends parks in your spot? Stab him in the eye with a fork?

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

H.A.L.A B.
on 11/3/15 4:44 am, edited 11/3/15 4:47 am

Ouch... So much anger... You had surgery, they did not. You want a dish just for you - cook that and bring it to share, but don't be offended they don't want to eat that.

But be prepared that you will not be able to eat a lot. Hopefully you remember that first few weeks - you can't feel full... The nerves had been cut so You need to measure everything and only eat as much as it is recommended. Or you can really hurt yourself. (like busting internal stiches and not feel that - really really bad idea..)

B**** 7 years post op I still can't eat a lot. Last night I had a few bites of spinach, followed by 5oz steak and a couple of bites of asparagus. I was full ... Realy really full.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."