Birthday Cake?

Juliek7312
on 11/7/15 2:14 pm

my birthday is coming up and my 6 year old daughter will be upset if I dont eat my cake. She was pretty upset in September when I wouldn't eat hers.

Does anyone have a healthy option I could make that would work? I can't bring myself to even take one bite of cake, considering I havent had sugar is so long it'd probably be grossly sweet and tbph the calories just aren't worth it to me.

Height: 5'5" HW: 370 SW: 363 CW: 177 RNY: 4/28/15

White Dove
on 11/7/15 2:44 pm - Warren, OH

I would make myself a 5 minute cake from the World According to Eggface site.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Maria27
on 11/7/15 2:45 pm - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

Go here: http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/p/search.html, and search for cake. Trust me on this.

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

Juliek7312
on 11/7/15 3:00 pm

will do thank you ^_^

(deactivated member)
on 11/8/15 8:09 am, edited 11/8/15 12:08 am

Your daughter will be okay if you don't eat cake. She will learn from you as she gets older and be glad you showed her good eating habits.

I wouldn't take a bite of cake just to make someone happy. I would get a sugar-free pudding or something you can eat.

I am 48 and I wish my family growing up had better eating habits.

What the others said using the eggface website would be a good idea. 

CerealKiller Kat71
on 11/8/15 10:02 am
RNY on 12/31/13
On November 8, 2015 at 4:09 PM Pacific Time, 3Bassethounds wrote:

Your daughter will be okay if you don't eat cake. She will learn from you as she gets older and be glad you showed her good eating habits.

I wouldn't take a bite of cake just to make someone happy. I would get a sugar-free pudding or something you can eat.

I am 48 and I wish my family growing up had better eating habits.

What the others said using the eggface website would be a good idea. 

^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^

I absolutely agree with this.  Let's use another example in place of cake.  Let's say you are a recovering alcoholic.  On your birthday, your friends and groom are upset that you can't drink some champagne for a toast.  So, should you drink the champagne to appease them?  Should you buy sparkling cider to appease them?  Really?

Your daughter has a wonderful opportunity to learn that things can definitely be celebrated without EATING. In fact, on your birthday is a wonderful time to celebrate how long you are going to live now that you are approaching life in a healthier way.  Your birthday is about when you came into this world.  It's NOT about eating cake.  

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

hollykim
on 11/8/15 11:17 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On November 7, 2015 at 10:14 PM Pacific Time, Juliek7312 wrote:

my birthday is coming up and my 6 year old daughter will be upset if I dont eat my cake. She was pretty upset in September when I wouldn't eat hers.

Does anyone have a healthy option I could make that would work? I can't bring myself to even take one bite of cake, considering I havent had sugar is so long it'd probably be grossly sweet and tbph the calories just aren't worth it to me.

at 6 years old, she is old enough tobe told and to understand,that there are some things that mom is choosing not to eat. 

rocky513
on 11/8/15 12:33 pm - WI

I agree with the previous posters that you shouldn't be basing your food choices on how others may feel.  There are many ways to celebrate birthdays/holidays with out food.  

I think I would be concerned about why a 6 year old is upset by anyone not eating a piece of cake. She seems a little young to be thinking in those terms.  This would be a good learning experience for her.  You would be doing her a great service by teaching her that celebrations do not always have to be about food/cake.  She's is at a prime age to be taught good eating habits.  Don't let this opportunity pass you by.  Go do something fun instead.  Start a new tradition!  Skip the cake.  Nobody really needs cake anyway.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Juliek7312
on 11/8/15 4:42 pm

my daughter has amazing eating habits. She is extremely healthy. When I had her I knew I wasn't going to lead her down a path that I went down and get her obese like I was. I personally love traditions, so if my healthy daughter wants to eat a slice of cake on her/someone's birthday it isn't an unhealthy eating habit. If she wants to eat the whole cake in one sitting then I would be concerned. If I have a healthy alternative for a birthday cake then its even better. Life isn't about food, but we can't pretend like we don't have to eat.

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 11/9/15 3:42 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13
On November 9, 2015 at 12:42 AM Pacific Time, Juliek7312 wrote:

my daughter has amazing eating habits. She is extremely healthy. When I had her I knew I wasn't going to lead her down a path that I went down and get her obese like I was. I personally love traditions, so if my healthy daughter wants to eat a slice of cake on her/someone's birthday it isn't an unhealthy eating habit. If she wants to eat the whole cake in one sitting then I would be concerned. If I have a healthy alternative for a birthday cake then its even better. Life isn't about food, but we can't pretend like we don't have to eat.

It's wonderful that your daughter is healthy  

The best way to instill better eating habits to children is to be a good role model.  Being the food police is deleterious and will backfire.  Creating traditions that don't revolve around food is a wonderful way to show your daughter that holidays are about PEOPLE, not EATING.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220