Eating Disorders and WLS

DahliaLady71
on 11/25/15 12:16 pm

I have a question. If a person has an eating disorder, like Binge Eating Disorder or Bulimia, how does that affect your insurance approving your WLS? I've had BED and got treatment for it from a psychologist and a psychiatrist. I haven't binged in about 5 months. Will this negatively affect my chance of having surgery? Or is obesity considered part of an eating disorder? If you're being seen by a psychologist or a psychiatrist for depression, will the insurance company require the treatment records? My insurance is Medicaid. 

(deactivated member)
on 11/25/15 1:52 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

Every plan is different, but my insurance just required me to have clearance from the psychologist at my surgeon's clinic. When I saw her for my consult, my history with food (specifically bingeing and purging) meant she required me to establish with a regular health psychologist before she'd clear me. When it was time to submit to insurance, my psychologist just sent the one at my doc's clinic a letter saying she thought I was ready for surgery, which the clinic sent to my insurance with all my other paperwork.

Most Active