Surprised

akanikkie
on 12/7/15 9:44 am
VSG on 04/27/15

When I first started my weight loss surgery journey, I confessed to one of my best friends that I was nervous about the attention I would get with my changing appearance.  Like many, I thought I was the only one who feared comments about how "great" I was looking.  After reading many posts here, I realized I wasn't alone.  I thought I would be mad about getting compliments or more attention as I lost weight - thinking "what the heck was wrong with me when I was heavier?"  BUT, I have not had any of those anxious or upset feelings at all.  This has honestly been one of the biggest surprises to me of all.  I can't put my finger on exactly why, but it feels "OK" and comfortable hearing the remarks.  I am now at a weight I haven't been at in over 20 years and feel so good.  Never know where the good surprises will come from on this interesting journey!
"

HW: 448; SW: 376; CW: 321

Joemac9408
on 12/7/15 10:35 am - Staten Island, NY
RNY on 02/04/15 with

I never worried about compliments from losing weight, but i'm actually more self conscience now because I feel like I look sick.  I guess it also doesn't help that people keep asking me if i'm well.  I was always the type of person who would make fun of myself when I was fat and didn't mind other people makng jokes about my weight but now it bothers me when people make jokes about how skinny I am.  My brother in law told me I look like Tom Hanks at the end of Philadelphia.  

Surgery date: 2/4/15

Highest weight: 315. Pre-op diet weight: 289.  Surgery weight: 260.  Current weight: 138  Goal weight: 160 

akanikkie
on 12/7/15 11:32 am
VSG on 04/27/15

It amazes me how some people just don't think before they speak when they are talking about anything to do with someone's appearance.  Gosh, what if you were REALLY sick.  How awful would they feel if you were and they asked that question?  I had a friend who passed away from AIDS.  When he was sick and losing a lot of weight, people kept congratulating him on his weight loss.  I know they didn't mean any harm but it was so uncomfortable.  Sorry you have had those kind of comments.  I know I still see myself as 448 pounds even when I look at myself in the mirror.  It's a weird thing to deal with, this body dysmorphia.  I always thought it was only anorexic or bulimic sufferers who dealt with it.  Hoping my brain catches up with my body.  Wishing you the best Joemac!

HW: 448; SW: 376; CW: 321

Joemac9408
on 12/7/15 12:08 pm - Staten Island, NY
RNY on 02/04/15 with

I actually have pretty thick skin (no pun intended) when it comes to these things but I guess it's just annoying me more now. I think part of it is because I thought once I lost the weight I wouldn't have to deal with comments about my weight all the time. I know most of the people that ask me if I'm well is because they worry and they were so used to me being overweight, now that I'm a "normal" weight it seems weird. I lost the weight fairly quickly after my surgery also which doesn't help because most people think there's something wrong with you when you lose weight rapidly. Hopefully now that I'm kind of leveling off weight wise people will start getting used to the skinny me.  Thanks for the kind words. Good luck to you also. 

Surgery date: 2/4/15

Highest weight: 315. Pre-op diet weight: 289.  Surgery weight: 260.  Current weight: 138  Goal weight: 160 

White Dove
on 12/7/15 6:55 pm - Warren, OH

Years ago I complimented a friend on her weight loss.  She had tried diets all her life and suddenly was slim.  I found out later that she had cancer and have never commented on anyone's weight loss since.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 12/9/15 4:40 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

Wow. I will learn from this.

Plus as much effort as we put into our WL, there could be other things happening in our lives - what a thought!

Sharon