Intermittent Fastinng?

Willie H.
on 12/7/15 5:13 pm
VSG on 08/26/14

Probably been discussed before has anyone investigated "Intermittent Fasting"? I tried it and I found that not eating after 6:00pm and then again not until after 10:00 the next morning works for me.

It means I work out in the morning around 5:45-6:45 on an empty stomach. I do drink a protein shake around 7:30am or so but do not eat solid food until around 10:00. So most my meals are done in a 8 hour window and I tend to take in less calories and amazingly I'm not hungry at night.

Yet, I do not want to become involved in anything as a fad or that may retard the progress ive made so far and that is why I've come to this forum. It appears that it is something I can keep up with since I basically am not hungry after 6pm but am ravenous between 12:00-4:00.

So what do you think? Just Google it. Thanks.

Vertical Gastric Sleeve-(8/26/14)HW 347lbs SW-328lbs CW-247 lbs  GW-212lbs Randolph,                                                                                       "LOVE" is knowing someone has the power to hurt you, yet TRUST that they won't"  "Sing like no one's listening and dance like no one's watching!!"

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/7/15 6:03 pm

Sorry to disappoint you, but drinking protein shake breaks the fast.  So really you fasting from 6-7:30 am. That is still great.  13.5 hours. 

I use that to help with my IBS.  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Willie H.
on 12/8/15 7:00 am
VSG on 08/26/14

Hmmm, never thought about that. Guess it would break-the-fast! Big key is that I am not eating after 6:00PM for the most part. If I need to go out with friends or something occasionally I will just pu**** back an hour or so. What I like about it is it makes me concentrate on eating the right foods between 10:00 and 6:00pm and not use it as a ticket to gorge. Also still comes down to "calories in-calories out!" Still have to watch the quantity along with quality! That's something newbies have to be aware of. I can now gain weight eating over 1200 calories where before WLS eating only 1200 calories I would lose 2 lbs a week!

I know it was some veteran who said in a post months ago, what ever health choice, nutrition, etc we choose, it has to be "consistent" and "sustainable"-basically a way of life. Every diet or fad we have been on before WLS has always been temporary and although we would lose the weight-even a lot- we could never maintain it and keep it off. 

So I think that is the key> Is it a choice that is healthy? A healthy way of living that is consistent, sustainable, realistic? No shortcuts, extremes, or fads. Eating properly, exercising, sleeping.

Anyway, although I haven't gained, I also haven't lost weight in a few weeks which means I've allowed too many calories to creep in. I eat WAY TOO MANY nuts as a filler snack and too much fruit! So gotta start journaling again and take accountability.

If there is one thing I would say to new people that has been said MANY times on this forum. Take advantage of those GOLDEN first few months. And they are golden! Work the program then as directed, be strict, don't cheat or test the water so to speak because even if you still continue to lose weight (and most likely you will) it WILL come back later to bite you-if even only in your mindset.

Vertical Gastric Sleeve-(8/26/14)HW 347lbs SW-328lbs CW-247 lbs  GW-212lbs Randolph,                                                                                       "LOVE" is knowing someone has the power to hurt you, yet TRUST that they won't"  "Sing like no one's listening and dance like no one's watching!!"

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/8/15 7:26 am

I use IF as a way to help with my IBS and that also helps with my calories, and weight...

I mentally record the time of last meal/snack before bed,  then add 12-14-16 hrs, and start eating after that.  In between I push as many calorie free drinks... 

My issue is middle of the night hypoglycemia - low blood sugars... to control that - I eat a snack just before bed -  typically nuts, nut butters..etc.  So the food gets slowly digested and absorb as I sleep.  Unfortunately -that caused other issues - mainly bacteria overgrowth in my small intestine (SIBO).  But nit eating but drinking fluids all morning - I in a way - give my insides a break and flush the bacteria down... that really helped with my IBS-D. 

if 6 pm-8 am works for you - great.... keep plugging along.. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 12/8/15 10:15 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

Those evening calories are deadly and usually totally devoid of nutrition.  Looks like not eating after 6 is a winner for you!!

Sharon

Grim_Traveller
on 12/7/15 6:17 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

I hear good things from people that know what they're talking about. If it works for you, it's great.

Whatever keeps you on track is a good thing.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

SkinnyScientist
on 12/8/15 6:06 am

When I was in my weightloss phase, I frequently ran 4-5 miles with no breakfast (i.e. in the fasting state).  I read somewhere (like a running website not a science journal) that doing so forces your body to burn more fat for energy than while running in the fed state. Others on this board have refuted it, but it worked for me.

Now that we are getting back into the "Eating Season" I am considering moving back into this type of exercising. I find that when I eat, I will get hungry 3-5 hours later. It wakes my stomach up.  If I dont eat...then I dont get hungry. And with all these parties (I am averaging 1-2 most week this month) it will not hurt me to give up a breakfast or two. It really wont.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Most Active