DOES ANYONE KNOW IF YOU WILL HAVE A LIFETIME OF DIARRHEA AFTER HAVING A...

Charmaine C.
on 12/30/15 6:39 am - Columbus, OH

Does Anyone Know If You Will Have A Lifetime Of Diarrhea After Having A Revision To Ds to fix a enlarged Stoma? I must have a revision to fix my enlarge stoma of over 3 cm big in size and my stomach was measure still at 8 ounces. This is the largest stoma my doctor seen. He's back and fourth between really doing the DS or Lap band. Has a one experience diarrhea or having a enlarge stoma.

White Dove
on 12/30/15 7:42 am - Warren, OH

This is a question to post on the DS board.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Valerie G.
on 12/30/15 10:27 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I've had the DS for more than 10 years.  I have one giant poo first thing in the morning and I'm done for the day.  It's always softer than it once was, and sometimes runny all depending on what I've eaten the day before, but we're not talking messing your pants and running for the toilet if that's your concern.

My experience is pretty standard, too.  many long-timers are like me on this subject.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

MsBatt
on 12/30/15 3:54 pm

I had a 'virgin' DS in 2003. I can't imagine things would be much different for a revision.

In the past 12 years, I've had actual diarrhea maybe three times. Each time I had a stomach bug. It was NOT a side-effect of my DS. In fact, I have more trouble with constipation than with excessive, loose stool.

Getting the DS was the best decision I've ever made.

Do some intensive research on LapBand failure. It'll scare the crap out of you!

Laura in Texas
on 1/2/16 7:30 am

Has your surgeon done many DS revisions? If not, you may have problems. Most DSers will tell you that they can control their BM's with their diet. If you eat crappy carbs, you will have problems.  

Good luck with your decision.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

hipswishingvinegarball
on 1/4/16 12:30 am

I'm 8 years out this month from a virgin DS, and I too just go once, sometimes twice in the morning, and that usually it for the day. It's a little softer than it was before, but I've only had actual diarrhea a few times, and it was when I was sick, or had a ton of something ripening in the garden and did something stupid like eat nothing but tomatoes all day (oh, or a load of sugar free gummi bears - yikes).

There are only about 3 surgeons in the US I'd allow to do the RNY to DS revision on me, and I'd be leery of any surgeon that still is doing bands. Bands have horrible stats as it is, but how that is supposed to help a stretched stoma is beyond me.