Excess Skin

cnanny
on 2/2/16 11:43 am

I am due to have the VSG this summer. I am curious to know how many people actually struggle with excess skin? I do currently exercise and will continue to do so after the surgery but I am still worried about that being an issue.  Any input is much appreciated! 

Thank you!

Chelsy

peachpie
on 2/2/16 12:04 pm - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

It depends on age, heredity, how much you have to lose-- a bunch of factors. More than likely there will be some amount of skin-- either save up for surgery or learn to live with it. 

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

Laura in Texas
on 2/2/16 12:17 pm

Have you been to many post-op/bariatric gatherings? Overall we are a lumpy bumpy bunch after losing massive amounts of weight. Look at the OH conference pictures. My guess is around 80% have enough excess skin to warrant plastic surgery. Many accept it,  wear shapewear and live their lives happily ever after. Others like me have lots of plastic surgery to feel "whole" again.

If you are young, do not have much to lose, and have excellent genetics, you may be one of the lucky ones.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

(deactivated member)
on 2/2/16 1:06 pm

It can be a daily struggle. I try to focus on the good parts of myself. And not focus on the saggy skin. There is always plastic surgery. But that is up to the person. 

I say buy shape wear it is a great thing. 

MsBatt
on 2/2/16 1:36 pm

Exercise is good for you, for lots of reasons---but it won't shrink your excess skin. A toned body will probably make that excess skin look better, though. There aren't any magical creams, lotions, wraps, or massages that will shrink the skin, either, but staying well-hydrated and eating good fats makes your skin softer and smoother. (Coconut oil is wonderful, inside and out. *grin*)

White Dove
on 2/2/16 2:20 pm - Warren, OH

As Ms Batt says you need to tone your body.  I did weight lifting machines four times a week and really built a lot of muscle in my arms and legs.  I did the abdominal machines every day and still needed a tummy tuck.

Keep your skin exfoliated and well hydrated.  It will look and feel better.  If you need plastic surgery then save your money and get it.  You won't know until the weight is gone.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

SkinnyScientist
on 2/2/16 5:47 pm

HI!

I was 36/37 during my weightloss year. I lost 143 lbs and had been MO for a decade. My highest weight ever was 287 and my surgery weight was 275 lbs.

I ran/did step aerobics/tae bo for two hours a day and lifted weights (body pump) twice a week during the weight loss phase.

I was thinking I was going to be O****il I hit 160 lbs..thinks were looking crepe-y. At 150 I had saggy skin on my inner thighs and when I reached 139/low 140s this saggy skin on my thighs looks like the lobe of 3 boobs!

Mini skirts are out, so are skating skirts unless I wear 2 pairs of hosiery....but other than the thighs...that is really the only excess skin I have.

In the end, I still look awesome in clothes..I look awesome in my fitness gear

So if I had to pick between the current me (I.e. the skinny me with excess thigh skin) or the MO me. I would still pick the surgery and the excess thigh skin.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

cnanny
on 2/3/16 7:33 am

Thank you all for the replies!!  I suppose I should have mentioned I am 26 years old.  I really hope the age factor is on my side but I probably will need a tummy tuck once I reach my goal weight.  As long as I have the option to remove the excess skin if necessary, I still want to go through with the surgery. Even living with excess skin while being thin and healthy has got to be better than the way I am living now.  I am so excited to be on my way to living the life I've always dreamed of living!

Thanks!

Chelsy