Brittle, Peeling Nails?

suzyq584
on 2/3/16 1:37 pm

Since surgery (I think), my nails have become really brittle and often peel.  Last night as I was lifting a rather heavy, awkward box 3 of my nails broke.  Once of them way down into the quick making it bleed.  

My last labs were good with the exception of folic acid which I'm now taking daily.  What causes brittle, peeling nails and what can I do about it?

Age: 42 | Height: 5'9 | Surgery Date: 10/08/15 | Starting Weight: 279.2 | Surgery Weight: 266 | Goal Weight:165 | Current Weight: 224.8 | WL so far: 54.4 lbs

(deactivated member)
on 2/3/16 2:38 pm - CA

I have always had strong nails, but that all changed when I had surgery.  I did have a vitamin deficiency, so that is probably why.   They are growing better now, since my levels are all coming up and labs are good.   However, I do tend to have nails that peel and I am not sure why this happens.  What I found that helps me with the peeling and probably the brittle nails, is Natures Bounty Hair, Skin and Nail gummies (available at Walmart).  Definitely see a difference in my peeling of nails and my hair is benefiting from it too, but I do still have shedding. 

Good luck! 

Nik

suzyq584
on 2/4/16 8:35 am

Thanks!  I'm almost due for new vitamins so I'll check into the Nature's Bounty Hair, Skin and Nail gummies.

Age: 42 | Height: 5'9 | Surgery Date: 10/08/15 | Starting Weight: 279.2 | Surgery Weight: 266 | Goal Weight:165 | Current Weight: 224.8 | WL so far: 54.4 lbs

(deactivated member)
on 2/4/16 8:46 am - CA

Suzyq, the Natures Bounty Gummies shouldn't replace your vitamins you are taking now, but take in addition to.  They are formulated to help with the hair, skin and nails.  While they more than likely have some of the same vitamins in them, that we are supposed to take, it is not enough to replace your regular vitamins with these.   

Just wanted to clarify that  

suzyq584
on 2/4/16 8:57 am

Oh!  Thanks for the explanation! 

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 2/3/16 3:08 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Lots of possible explanations :)

If in doubt, ask your doctor!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

suzyq584
on 2/4/16 8:31 am

Thanks.  I did Google the causes prior to posting.  Google is always my go to.  But with so many possible causes, I thought it best to pose the question here, in a group of people who may have the same symptoms, to possibly narrow down the long list of possibilities!

Maria27
on 2/3/16 3:16 pm - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

Double check your Zinc. I had a deficiency, so I started taking 50mg of Zinc a day. My nails became the strongest they have ever been. At my next lab draw, my Zinc was high, so I cut way back. Then, a few months latter my nails started getting brittle and peeling again, and at my most recent draw my Zinc level was one point above the deficiency level. Needless to say, if your Zinc level is on the low end, it could be the cause of your brittle nails. I am adding 50mg of Zinc to my vitamin regime three times per week to take care of this problem.

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

suzyq584
on 2/4/16 8:33 am

Thanks!  I don't think we tested my Zinc levels.  I'll double check and get it checked if not.  

White Dove
on 2/3/16 3:22 pm - Warren, OH

Your body is getting a lot less food to work with now.  It considers hair and nails to be just decorations and it will allocate its resources to body parts it considers more important.  The limited protein and calcium will go to the bones, heart, brain, and other organs.  During the first year after surgery, hair and nails are often dry and brittle.

This will probably resolve on its own.  I believe getting extra protein helps.

My mother always had weak, brittle nails and I always did too.  I get gel polish about every three weeks.  It makes my nails strong and is not as high maintenance as acrylic nails.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Most Active