Unbelievable pain- what did I do to myself?

ChrisSteak
on 2/4/16 6:17 am
RNY on 02/20/15

I won't bore you with the details of what led up to this transgression.....pretty much not coping well with the stress in my life. None the less; I have read a ton of info on RNY and visit the forums on here and have yet to figure out what happened.

So, I am almost 1 year post-op and last night I was desperate for a Reeses Peanut butter cup Blizzard from the Dairy Queen. I bought a small one and literally inhaled it I swear, all the while feeling so low and down the tears fell into it.

What happened over the next couple hours brought me very close to calling an ambulance. I didn't get nauseated, start sweating, have gas pain or any diarrhea so I am confident I didn't dump.

It also wasn't reactive hypoglycemia. I've experienced that a couple times.

What is was was the most excruciating abdominal pain I have ever experienced. A constant band of pain that doubled me over. I curled up in bed into the fetal position and cried. I literally could not even lightly touch me abdomen without exacerbating the pain. 

It lasted over 2 hours. I finally fell asleep and woke up exhausted and not wanting to eat anything. I decided to stick to soft foods for the day to give my pouch a rest. I hope I haven't damaged anything in there.

I will never do something like that again?

Thanks for any insight you may have. 

(deactivated member)
on 2/4/16 6:32 am, edited 2/3/16 10:33 pm - CA

It is not uncommon for people to become lactose intolerant after RNY.  This sounds like you had a reaction to the milk and while you did not experience all the symptoms of lactose intolerance, you did experience some of them.  I myself react the same way to ice cream, but I can drink skim milk.  So, while it may not be a complete  form of lactose intolerance, it sounds like you did not tolerate that ice cream at all.   

I think it is a good idea to give your pouch a break!

Hope you feel better soon.

Nik 

(deactivated member)
on 2/4/16 7:28 am

Old habits are had to break. As many people will say they did surgery on our stomachs not our heads. Just don't beat yourself up about doing this. Sometimes we have to let it go. Not forget but to move on. Look at the good that you have done so far. 

Start a food journal writing down what you eat. I know we have MYFITNESSPAL but when you write it on paper and write your feelings when you eat sometimes it will stop you. I had a nutritionist have me do that for a while. 

Stress sucks. But it will always be there. 

I had an incident with pizza. I learned my lesson.  

RNY on 12/22/14

I had an incident with Pizza - occasionally I had a inch piece of pizza(the little point of a wedge) and scrapped off the topping and just ate the cheese and sauce - no problem.  When I reached my goal weight, I fit a piece of pizza into my meal plan.  It was a bigger piece (still only a small square), but I only ate the cheese and sauce and thought nothing more about it.  Until I was In Macy's 1-2 hours later and I felt so bad, I had to sit down.  It was like I had the worst flu - sweating, weak, headache, nauscious (Really, this, for me, was like impossible - me not being able to shop!)  I wasn't in the pain you were, but OMG I was NOT feeling well.  I just didn;t eat for the rest of the day while that balled-up mass of cheese sat there in my poor stomach like a piece of plastic and finally worked its way out.  

Pizza no longer holds any allure for me. One wake-up call was enough!!  

Sharon

(deactivated member)
on 2/4/16 8:21 am

I ended up with a heating pad on all night. I will scrape the top off pizza once in a while. 

(deactivated member)
on 2/4/16 7:39 am

Thank you for posting this. I helps to remind me to never let this happen. I've never tested my pouch in any way. I need periodic reminders to help me. It's tricky to be sure. Not letting life emit through our stomach anymore. I'm sorry this happened to you. The pain is punishment enough if you ask me. Thanks for the example though. And the honesty to share this.

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/4/16 10:42 am

Dumping. Unfortunately... My symptoms are very similar.. I may get a few more symptoms of I eat more of sugary stuff.. But small amount - sugar +fat + dairy - and my gut let me have it... Felling like you are dying or wanted to die.. 

Now you know to stay away from those things..  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active