Constipation Soon after Surgery??

Heavens2Betsy
on 2/6/16 8:38 pm
RNY on 02/29/16

I've got a little over 3 weeks till my RNY, and I'm worried about getting constipated soon after surgery  I know getting in as much water as possible will help, but what else can I do?  I'm scared that I'll strain too much and pop some staples or something bad like that.   I bought a jar of benefiber, thinking I could use that, but the Dr. says not till after my 3 week appt.  Maybe I'm just over thinking this?  Maybe I won't even poop with just having liquids?  I should have asked the Dr. but I didn't, so any thoughts?

Age: 55.  5' 8" SW 345 lbs.  RNY on 2/29/16 at UVA w/ Dr. Hallowell.     
Month 1 - 3/29/16: 319 (25 lbs. lost) | Month 2 - 4/27/16: 314 (5 lbs. lost) | 
Month 3 - 5/29/16: 303 (12 lbs. lost) | Month 4 - 6/28/16:  293 (10 lbs. lost)
Month 5 - 7/28/16: 289 (4 lbs lost) | Month 6 - 8/28/16: 282 (7 lbs. lost) |
Month 7 - 9/27/16: 278 (4 lbs lost)

lxl_Miz_lxl
on 2/6/16 9:31 pm, edited 2/6/16 2:00 pm
VSG on 01/11/16

I have bowel issues and I asked my doctor that exact question.. lol 

"will I tear or damage the staple line by bearing down too hard"  he said no, the only damage I could do was eating too much and putting pressure on the inside of the staple line. 

I've had vsg.. not sure if that makes a difference

I've been on a capful of miralax since I've got home.. I've had no issues

RNY on 12/22/14

I think your doctor did not answer fully - Straining and pressure is not good for ANYONE - so the dr may have meant that it's just not any worse for you because you had WLS.  

For me, I am not sure about that - your doctor would need to see how much straining I have had to do and that is why it's Benefiber in my yogurt every other day.  If I didn't tear my staples, I could have torn something else. 

When you get to where you need it, find your remedy of choice and use it before you get into trouble.

Search this site for "Constipation" for more info - remedies, etc, PS  There is a hilariously honest post about a softball-sized you-know-what that is a cautionary tale.  

Sharon

Sandy E.
on 2/7/16 4:24 am - Hyannis, MA

I had a big problem about 8 days post op RNY. If I had know it was going to be so bad I would have taken preventive measures. I was only told it's not uncommon to not go for 10 days. If I had it to do over I would start a dose of Miralax after I got home. Check with your doctor though. Good luck!   

acbbrown
on 2/7/16 7:46 am - Granada Hills, CA

Me too. Anesthesia and pain meds cause serious constipation for most. I would have started miralax days before my surgery if I had known. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

jenorama
on 2/7/16 10:37 am - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

I had an actual impaction issue after my surgery. I would talk to your surgeon about what you can safely do to keep ahead of any issues. It was definitely not my favorite thing! I now use a probiotic daily along with a dose of Benefiber. 

Jen

bruindiva92
on 2/7/16 6:42 pm
Revision on 03/29/17

My surgeon recommended stool softener right after surgery--in our handbook ;-)

I had major constipation 3-4 days after surgery and I was taking Miralax those 3 days, twice daily.  If I had to do it again, I would have taken 3 Dulcolax daily.  I was doubled over for 4 hours until that first BM passed--extremely painful.

Now, 10 months out, I take Dulcolax 4 times per week because I eat a minimum of 100g of protein daily.

I would suggest that you confirm this with your doctor.

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1389 views